sealed vs ported vs bandpass

I'm not an expert one the different styles of boxes and their characteristics, but generally speaking, a sealed box delivers more SQ and tighter bass, and a ported is a little more on the SPL side and the bass is a little more boomy, and bandpass, I know pretty much nothing about, but I heard when built right, they sound pretty good, but once again, these are just generalizations about them, there are always exceptions.

I am no expert on this neither, but i know alot about each and im gonna try and explain each of these with all my knowledge.

1)Sealed-This type of box as ructwenty2 said, will give you a tighter more accurate sound from your subs. This is basically called SQ (Sound Quality). They also have a flatter response which means they wont get louder at certain frequncies. They also allow a Subwoofer to usually be able to take more power without blowing.

2)Ported-This type is used for really loud bass, if you want ppl from miles around to hear you then this is for you. They are usually bigger than sealed and have 1 or more ports to allow air to escape from the box. The size of the box and the length of the ports determine the tuning frequency of the box. I dont know the nitty gritty about tuning frequeny so maybe one of the more experienced ppl will answer that for ya. Ported boxes will not be as accurate as sealed either which means that the subs wont respond to a frequeny change as fast as a sealed box which will sound like the sub is going "slow" and takes a little longer to cath up to the new frequency.

3)Bandpass-This is the most complicated of the 3 since the box has to be built to the drivers specs. If the calculations are off by even a little then it will sound like crap. These are not often used considering these complications. As for how they sound I cant really tell you about that since ive never heard but a few of these at places like best-buy and the such.

Hope this helps. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif If not then i'm sorry at least I tried:( //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

bandpasses are crap, dont even try to get one: prefabbed or custom they are impossible to get right. my bro got these subs, cuz he had the car b4 me, and he put them in a bandpass. they sound great at the middle volumes, but the subs bottom out and wont get to the higher volumes. dont get a bandpass, too hard to get right. sealed is probably your best and easiest bet

Originally posted by nswartley bandpasses are crap, dont even try to get one: prefabbed or custom they are impossible to get right. my bro got these subs, cuz he had the car b4 me, and he put them in a bandpass. they sound great at the middle volumes, but the subs bottom out and wont get to the higher volumes. dont get a bandpass, too hard to get right. sealed is probably your best and easiest bet
I forgot that part to. Difficulty level.

1)Sealed-Easiest to build and least complicated.

2)Ported-Middle Difficulty level, have to have space for the larger box and needs ports which have to be cut to the specific length to achieve a tuning frequency.

3)Bandpass-EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO BUILD! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!lol They have to be well thought throuhg and have to be EXTREMELY PRECISE to sound right. NOT FOR BEGINNERS.

I personally would never own a bandpass box. I do on the other hand have an oversized sealed box which in the future when I get $ I am going to try and port it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by nswartley bandpasses are crap, dont even try to get one: prefabbed or custom they are impossible to get right.
Not too impossible - well, the ones I currently have and have built in the past anyways;)

You guys are right with your definitions of sealed, ported, and bandpass boxes - as well as the difficulty factor.

- Steve

i can tell you from experience, when i started in car audio i bought the bandpass box because i thought it looked cool

then i hooked everything up and it didnt sound like i hoped it would, all the bass sounded the same and it was all just a big boom

i have since gone into a ported enclosure with better subs and it sounds much better, i have the same amp and no it rattles my teeth when before i could barely move a mirror

Thats the reason i like bandpass boxes, they look cool. But if you ask me you could get the same cool look with just a sealed or ported with a plexi panels.

the thing that pisses me off about my bandpass is its inability to perform at higher volumes. its fine for me at the low-midrange volumes, but when i crank it, its almost as if the subs turn of. the distortion is so incredible that it just barely moves the subs. i know its not the amp or the subs, but the bandpasses make subs "bottom out" in a way really easily. i know a few other people who have this problem too

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.