Sealed Enclosure Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

CHeinze1

I'm in need of some help... I am attempting to complete a box build that I took over from someone else. Before I did anything, I did the math and made sure the design fit the specs and dimensions for the intended subs. It is a somewhat basic sealed box for 2 Kicker Comp VR 12's. The box itself is solid. 3/4" MDF construction, double think front panel, adequate internal bracing, divided into 2 separate chambers, and measures within sub specs. All the seams are tight, no leaks, except for one. This is where I need some help.

The box is designed with 2 chambers, 1 for each sub. The problem with it is that the divider panel that separates the 2 chambers looks like it wasn't cut properly because there is a gap between the divider panel and the front panel. Outside of this one connection the box is solid. I did smoke checks on all the joints/connections and the box is sealed great. The only leak is at the front edge of the internal divider, between the 2 internal chambers.

So here's my question. Can a leak between the 2 chambers of the box cause damage to the subwoofer? Keep in mind the seal from inside out is tight. There is only a leak between the 2 internal chambers. Also, because the box is basically complete, minus some finishing touches, and is built like a vault, it is impossible for me to remove any panels to get to it, and cut a new divider with a better fit and seal. It looks like he used a gallon of glue on it and 3 inch screws every 2 inches. Can this leak damage the subs or affect performance? Lastly, do you guys have any tips or tricks that can help me fix it?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I need to get this finished up so I can get it off my workbench and move on to the next item on the "Honey Do" list.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.