Sealed and Ported?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Another question. Please excuse my noobiness. I'm using two 5 1/4 Dayton subwoofers and they are going in the rear of my Midget. I understand how to calculate the required volume, but do I need to put a wall in the enclosure separating the volume between each?

Attachments

• Rearspeakers.jpg
    Rearspeakers.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 178
Don't be afraid to ask questions here.
Awsome, thanks Audioholic. Another on this same thread.. They want something like .2 cubic feet for sealed, and .5 cubic feet for vented. Does it matter the actual shape of the enclosure? Like this guy made a skinny one, but I wonder if the back wall being so close to the magnet vent wouldn't interfere with the performance. I have to get them in my hand to be sure these are the ones I want to mount. They're actually 6 inchers. I was thinking something smaller to go along with the diminutive theme of my car, like 4-5". We'll see.

Attachments

• skinnybox.jpeg
    skinnybox.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 169
The old rule of thumb was keep your sub vent at least as far from the wall as the diameter of the vent. You can probably get away with a bit less.

As for the shape, it does and doesn't matter. Something like you are talking about, long and thin, is fine. Where you can get into trouble with enclosure shapes is when you have multiple compartments to compress/expand, especially in vented enclosures.

The old rule of thumb was keep your sub vent at least as far from the wall as the diameter of the vent. You can probably get away with a bit less.

As for the shape, it does and doesn't matter. Something like you are talking about, long and thin, is fine. Where you can get into trouble with enclosure shapes is when you have multiple compartments to compress/expand, especially in vented enclosures.
I see. I'm probably going to keep it sealed for simplicity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.