SA8v2's in IB setup?

Participant count
  • Participant list
No no no no. Opposite alignment for that woofer.

As for good 18s for infinite baffle look at the SSA Evil or Fi SP4. Fs/Qes is the only calculation you need to make to determine proper alignment. The lower the number, the better.

No no no no. Opposite alignment for that woofer.
As for good 18s for infinite baffle look at the SSA Evil or Fi SP4. Fs/Qes is the only calculation you need to make to determine proper alignment. The lower the number, the better.

Well... I already have the 18" Zcon.. and the 8's.

What are my options? My girlfriend is tired of having a huge box in her trunk for the 8's lol. It sounds great but her civic trunk is tiny.

My other option would be to build a box sealed up to the rear deck using the deck as the baffle and port it through a center cutout aero? subs/port through rear deck... Can build the box and do a small false wall to look like nothing is there?

Sell the SA-8's and get a sub meant for the application . Dayton audio makes some decent ones. FI as well plus there are a slew of other drivers out there that will work in this application. The SA-8v.2 is not my choice for this setup (or any for that matter) . @keep_hope_alive; would be a good guy to speak with about IB

you can force a non-ideal alignment into IB with an aperiodic (AP) membrane and get good results. I've tried various woofers in IB/AP and all did well if your goal is accurate music. I wouldn't try SPL competition with the alignment.

there are a variety of ways to implement AP. this is a good resource for the various methods:

AP Enclosures-The Aperiodic Cookbook | Tutorials | Team Audionutz

GlassWolf's Pages

i did mostly rear loaded membranes (or chamber-coupled)

Image4.gif

but your best bet for least work is front loaded. just sandwich the fiberglass (or preferably ultratouch insulation) between two speaker grills, secure to the rear deck (needs an air-tight seal against the woofer basket) and experiment with density for tuning.

you can force a non-ideal alignment into IB with an aperiodic (AP) membrane and get good results. I've tried various woofers in IB/AP and all did well if your goal is accurate music. I wouldn't try SPL competition with the alignment.
there are a variety of ways to implement AP. this is a good resource for the various methods:

AP Enclosures-The Aperiodic Cookbook | Tutorials | Team Audionutz

GlassWolf's Pages

i did mostly rear loaded membranes (or chamber-coupled)

Image4.gif

but your best bet for least work is front loaded. just sandwich the fiberglass (or preferably ultratouch insulation) between two speaker grills, secure to the rear deck (needs an air-tight seal against the woofer basket) and experiment with density for tuning.
Thank you for the resources, very useful.

If I built a new box to fit the woofers mounted in the rear deck with a aero port through the center (cutout on the rear deck) into the cabin... how different would the response be from keeping them in the trunk like they are now?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.