SA-12 box port up down etc.?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cchheett
10+ year member

Oregon
I am going to get a new setup on my Liberty. I need a new altenator, amp, and subs. Now for this I need to save some money. I want to build something now just to mess around with stuff. So I want to make a new box for my SA-12 on 900 watts @2ohm. The box I have rite now is in my Ford Ranger. If I build a new box for my jeep should I face the sub up and put the port facing the back of the Cab.. Or face sub backwards and keep the port backwards also.Thanks for any suggestions. For 50 bucks worth of wood I want to try something different.

here is a picture of my Ranger box in my Liberty. I wanted to see what it would look like. It dosnt' sound good in my Liberty at all. thats why I want a new box. Sounds great in the Ranger, but not in the Liberty. The port is facing up in the picture. YOu just can't really see the picture very good.

And I purchase subwoofer plans from RAM Designs. I had a stroke years ago, and I don't even try and do the math stuff anymore. Thanks for your time.
2wf65xu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of a box that I am wondering if that box would be good?

This is not the rite size etc, just showing the port and sub etc.. Thanks for any info.

SubwooferBox082.jpg

Here is a picture of a box that I am wondering if that box would be good? This is not the rite size etc, just showing the port and sub etc.. Thanks for any info.

SubwooferBox082.jpg
sub up,port back seems to be the most popular and box for suv type interiors.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone suggest I use sa-12's recommended ported box stats "1.5-2.0 ft^3 @ 35hz" .

Maybe I should use 32 hz? I will be using it for music, but just want to get a little bit more spl if I can get a little. Amp is going 900 watts @2ohm .Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone suggest I use sa-12's recommended ported box stats "1.5-2.0 ft^3 @ 35hz" .

Maybe I should use 32 hz? I will be using it for music, but just want to get a little bit more spl if I can get a little. Amp is going 900 watts @2ohm .Thanks again everyone.
Matt from Car audio fab has a video on you tube for a box build for a SA12.

I've tried every way imaginable in my liberty and it's really depends on cone area, power, and distance from the rear door.

Sub up/port up plays deeper, also gets louder with the windows down but you don't feel the bass. Sub rear/port rear lets you feel the bass and gives better numbers on the meter for smaller setups. I've tried sub up/port rear, but the only time I liked the outcome was when I was running 3 Diamond Audio 10's. The box was 4.5cuft net and

pretty **** close to the rear door. I couldn't fit the subs and port on the same panel, so I didn't have much of a choice. I'd do around 1.7-1.8@32-33hz with 17-18^2" per cube, port rear/sub rear. I've played with boxes for a guy running a single sa12 in his liberty, and it turned out extremely good. Here's the box specs, but I can send you the cutsheet and sketup design if you want it.

Sub/port rear,Double baffle 1.75cuft@32hz 18.63^2" port

16h x 23.5w x 17d

Port- 14.5h x 2.25w x 43L

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.