running amp from cigarette lighter

Simmer down, Bro. What you need to understand is at some point your amp will have to draw all it's power through the cigarette lighter wire. And trust me the wire behind the plug is smaller gauge than that cord coming out. As your batteries run down you are actually running the amp on a piece of 18 gauge wire behind the dash. STOP THIS! The only reason this has worked so far is because your batteries are sort of acting like a buffer on the amp draw. As soon as the current demand exceeds what the batts have left, that little wire has to take up the slack in supplying the juice. IT CAN NOT DO THIS! IF THE FUSE DON"T POP THE WIRE WILL BURN!!! GO TO WALMART OR WHEREVER AND GET PROPER WIRE!!!!!!!! Make 2 runs, one for pos and one for neg from your battery. That way you dont have to modify anything at all and your good to go.

i am well aware of what to do and thanks for not being a jerk about it. i did a system in my friend's avenger and it has been great for him. my definition of modifying would be swapping something out, replacing something, or changing what is stock.
Dude, not to be a dick, but if you did his install like this, you have no business doing installs in someone else's car. You got lucky here, but what would you do if your buddies car burned to the ground?

So as mentioned, if you did it right no one would know these wires were there. All you are doing is adding 5 wires, 4 if you want to go easy. You need one long one that will run from front battery to rear battery (fused), one to run from your battery positive to your amp positive (fused), one to ground your amp to your battery, and one to ground your battery to your frame. You also will need a remote wire for your amp, but you could jump your positive wire there if you didn't want to add more.

Dude, not to be a dick, but if you did his install like this, you have no business doing installs in someone else's car. You got lucky here, but what would you do if your buddies car burned to the ground?
So as mentioned, if you did it right no one would know these wires were there. All you are doing is adding 5 wires, 4 if you want to go easy. You need one long one that will run from front battery to rear battery (fused), one to run from your battery positive to your amp positive (fused), one to ground your amp to your battery, and one to ground your battery to your frame. You also will need a remote wire for your amp, but you could jump your positive wire there if you didn't want to add more.
in my friends car we ran power wire, second batt with an isolater, replaced all door pods and ran it off of a 4 channel amp, and i put in

2 12'' soundstream tsq 12's. i did it right

edit: also an in line 100 amp fuse 6 inches from the batt.

Simmer down, Bro. What you need to understand is at some point your amp will have to draw all it's power through the cigarette lighter wire. And trust me the wire behind the plug is smaller gauge than that cord coming out. As your batteries run down you are actually running the amp on a piece of 18 gauge wire behind the dash. STOP THIS! The only reason this has worked so far is because your batteries are sort of acting like a buffer on the amp draw. As soon as the current demand exceeds what the batts have left, that little wire has to take up the slack in supplying the juice. IT CAN NOT DO THIS! IF THE FUSE DON"T POP THE WIRE WILL BURN!!! GO TO WALMART OR WHEREVER AND GET PROPER WIRE!!!!!!!! Make 2 runs, one for pos and one for neg from your battery. That way you dont have to modify anything at all and your good to go.

Just so we're clear, run the proper wire from your main battery under the hood. The one that starts the car n such.

well i charge the batt on a regular basis so that is probably why it has worked. but ya. im goanna wire it up the right way

Just so we're clear, run the proper wire from your main battery under the hood. The one that starts the car n such.
yes i know. i did a system in my friends car. we added a second batt with an isolator also. also did the big three. i have a clue what im doing. but i am still learning too.

listen between all the distortion Brah And run a proper fused power wire and ground. (No it's not A Mod.)

No more then what you have now. It will be safer so you will have a car when you Graduate...

If not get a fire extinguisher your going to need it!!!

listen between all the distortion Brah And run a proper fused power wire and ground. (No it's not A Mod.)No more then what you have now. It will be safer so you will have a car when you Graduate...

If not get a fire extinguisher your going to need it!!!
thanks. i will run proper power wire. and i happen to have a fire extinguisher in my car lol.

i have 3 comments...

1: WOW

2:im sure if whoever owns the car knew about the eletrical hazards your building now they would gladly let you "modify" it.

3: if it is going to be ur car when u graduate but they wont let u do anything to it yet.. then they're obviously nervous you might not graduate so they dont want you screwing up their car... and by your install capabilites i completely understand why they would be worried about you graduating or not

i have 3 comments...1: Wow

2:im sure if whoever owns the car knew about the eletrical hazards your building now they would gladly let you "modify" it.

3: If it is going to be ur car when u graduate but they wont let u do anything to it yet.. Then they're obviously nervous you might not graduate so they dont want you screwing up their car... And by your install capabilites i completely understand why they would be worried about you graduating or not
#2 x 1,000,000

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.