Running a 4 channel amp at 2 ohm vs 4ohm

Participant count
  • Participant list
Also if the amp is 2ohm stable does that mean I have to run 2ohm load to each channel or 1ohm load to each channel

2 ohm stable means what it says in the owner's manual. If it's 2 ohms stable in stereo that means you have to keep it at 2 ohms or greater per channel.

As to which would sound better, 8 speakers on one amp or 8 speakers on 2 amps, I think it would just be loud either way. You technically should get a bit better sound quality out of the 2 amp setup due to less THD, but it's still a lot of speakers. More speakers is not always better for sound quality. It seems you're more concerned about getting loud.

Is there a certain combination of speakers and amplifiers you're looking to use?

2 ohm stable means what it says in the owner's manual. If it's 2 ohms stable in stereo that means you have to keep it at 2 ohms or greater per channel.
As to which would sound better, 8 speakers on one amp or 8 speakers on 2 amps, I think it would just be loud either way. You technically should get a bit better sound quality out of the 2 amp setup due to less THD, but it's still a lot of speakers. More speakers is not always better for sound quality. It seems you're more concerned about getting loud.

Is there a certain combination of speakers and amplifiers you're looking to use?
yes I plan on running 8 crescendo 10inch mid drivers on a big 4 channel such as a sundown 200.4 or a 175.4 dc

a lot of A/B amps will get VERY hot and even thermal protect running at 2ohm per channel. Just an FYI as I've seen it numerous times...

I'd do 2 4ch amps and run them bridged at 4ohm per channel. That's how I run my PA stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.