Rules of mounting an amp?

About to mount my amp, but am undecided on what to do with it. Where are the best spots? Everyone is telling me to put it on the box but everything im reading is telling me to avoid the box... Id rather not put it on the box, but then what would I have to do instead? Be as descriptive as you can because I have no clue what I am doing

About to mount my amp, but am undecided on what to do with it. Where are the best spots? Everyone is telling me to put it on the box but everything im reading is telling me to avoid the box... Id rather not put it on the box, but then what would I have to do instead? Be as descriptive as you can because I have no clue what I am doing
Don't mount it to the box. The vibrations from the subwoofer(s) can cause serious internal damage to the inner-workings of the amp. What type of vehicle are you working with here? A good place is to mount it to the back of the back seat.

if you mount it to the box just try to find something to go behind it to absorb the shock. like some thick rubber rings/grommets. That what i use if i mount to the box

Awesome that you are thinking that far ahead and asking questions...kudos to you. IMHO, I would not mount to the sub box directly for the simple reasoning of direct vibration of internal parts ( I also think about theft, if they take your box...well they get the amp as a bonus as well.) Now, having said that, if you were to dampen the vibration by installing rubber mounting absorbers in between the box and amp would that be an alternative?

There are a few variables here as well. Like, what vehicle (trunk, hatch, truck) that would limit areas to mount to. Also the size and weight of the amp could come into play as well. Under the seat would be nice...but would the amp fit?

Things to take into consideration...power wire length, ground location (ground should be less than 2 feet from amp), cooling of amp, ease of access if needed for adjustments..just to name a few.

If you're not rocking out 5k on two Sundowns then don't worry about putting it on the box, just do the rubber grommet deal as described above and call it a day.

For a wagon like that I'd mount it to the back seat.
Alright so 1 vote back seat

Awesome that you are thinking that far ahead and asking questions...kudos to you. IMHO, I would not mount to the sub box directly for the simple reasoning of direct vibration of internal parts ( I also think about theft, if they take your box...well they get the amp as a bonus as well.) Now, having said that, if you were to dampen the vibration by installing rubber mounting absorbers in between the box and amp would that be an alternative?
There are a few variables here as well. Like, what vehicle (trunk, hatch, truck) that would limit areas to mount to. Also the size and weight of the amp could come into play as well. Under the seat would be nice...but would the amp fit?

Things to take into consideration...power wire length, ground location (ground should be less than 2 feet from amp), cooling of amp, ease of access if needed for adjustments..just to name a few.
I really dont think it would fit under my seats. Could it go ANYWHERE in my trunk?

If you're not rocking out 5k on two Sundowns then don't worry about putting it on the box, just do the rubber grommet deal as described above and call it a day.
Im going to be using an American Bass VFL 4480 and EVENTUALLY going to get 2 obsidian audio v3 12's. Right now im going to run a hifonics brz15d4 which is only temporary. But the amp is permanent

With my setup before I fixed it my box vibrated so much it would move around in the trunk... Only a single 12 on 1200W RMS

With my setup before I fixed it my box vibrated so much it would move around in the trunk... Only a single 12 on 1200W RMS
why didnt you bolt it down? i had the same problem before so i just bout some L-brackets and bolted the box in place

whats wrong with mounting sundowns on the box? i did that with a Saz for a while

whats wrong with mounting sundowns on the box? i did that with a Saz for a while
Amp mounted on enclosure = components receive excess vibration. Vibration + heat can = failing components, any weak solder joints can break, etc. It's like speeding past a police station. You might be fine doing it 99/100 times, but that one time you get caught will completely fuck you over.

why didnt you bolt it down? i had the same problem before so i just bout some L-brackets and bolted the box in place
Actually I took a chunk of 2x4 and screwed it to the side of my box, wedging it in place and making a little compartment to hold my stuff. I said "before I fixed it,..." Now it's fixed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Amp mounted on enclosure = components receive excess vibration. Vibration + heat can = failing components, any weak solder joints can break, etc. It's like speeding past a police station. You might be fine doing it 99/100 times, but that one time you get caught will completely fuck you over.
thats is true. i have like 3 inches of rubber grommets on each mounting foot of the amp. Plus some extra spacing between the amp and enclosure. i try to make it safe as possible lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.