Installing mb quart 1500.1 @ 2 ohm, 4 gauge wire enough?

Participant count
  • Participant list

99fummins

Hello, first post here. So I'm installing an sa-12 d4 with a 1.8 ported box @ 34 hz and an mb quart RA1500.1. Just gonna run at 2 ohms, which should put me around the 1000wrms mark, will 4 gauge wire be enough? I bought a 4 gauge kit accidentally, thought I had selected the 0/1 kit. But it's supposedly rated for 2000 watts, will I be alright with it?

I haven't done the "big 3" but I don't know if it's necessary for me. I have a 12 valve cummins with new dual 950 cca batteries. The cummins uses a pretty beastly alternator and the superduty it's in was a 7.3 powerstroke truck and has heavy gauge power/ground wire already.. Might need to beef up the alternator to battery wire, not sure.

Ok good deal, it is real 4 gauge. I have one more question, i have an alumapro 15 farad capacitator i found up in a salvage yard (paid $11 for it). Should i install it? Dont know if its necessary with this setup. Maybe i should start another thread with that question though

Ok good deal, it is real 4 gauge. I have one more question, i have an alumapro 15 farad capacitator i found up in a salvage yard (paid $11 for it). Should i install it? Dont know if its necessary with this setup. Maybe i should start another thread with that question though
Take it back to the salvage yard, completely unnecessary piece of equipment.

Thanks man. And roger that on the cap, didnt think it was necessary and definitely read mixed opinions on their value.
Ignore the misinformed. Capacitors do a phenomenal job when used for their intended purpose: AC line filtering. If you end up getting signal noise caused by your power wire (not the RCAs), that stiffening capacitor may be just what the doctor ordered. Using a capacitor as a reserve power bank or to "keep your headlights from dimming," however, is a complete farce and won't be worth your time. Considering you have a lot of power on tap from your alternator/batteries, you wouldn't need it for that purpose anyway.

Also, who made the amp wiring kit you're considering? In the future, you can gauge (no pun intended) what size you'll need by the fusing on your amplifiers and the amp rating of the wire itself. Make sure you're not getting amp wiring that's rated for less than your amplifier or you'll be choking its ability to receive current from your car's electrical system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.