high output alternator

cocoleveo7686
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MA
So I have a 2006 mazdaspeed 6 2.3l turbo and im having a hard time finding a high output alternator. I am running around 3000 rms total. I got quoted from a few places but had a few questions.

Do you guys know any good places to get a alt? I called excessive amperage they want 600+ and singer alternators wanted 629 for a 350a hut this is what he said in his email and I didnt know if it was true

this was his response response about a h.o. alternator for my car

Hello Anthony*

I did recently develop one actually. It would have to be externally regulated because your vehicle and stock alt is a dual regulated system (so the upgraded version will not perform any better then the stock) Externally regulated this alternator is a power house. I have clamped over 350 amps from it and over a 200 amp idle.*

Is this true that with my car even if I upgrade the alternator it wont make a difference bc of the charging system?

Im hoping some of you guru can help. I do have a 110a alt, yellow top up front, 0 gauge wire and big 3 done and voltage drop to 12.3

You can buy the singer thru me the price is prolly right. Issue is the Japanese alts are expensive parts wise and the higher amped ones are even more

yeah if you got a similar quote from two good companies I'd say that's the cost of the alt on those things.. *****, some cars are fairly cheap and used alts pop up all the time, other ones are custom made, you can't find them used and cost 500+.. I've had cars on both sides of the fence before.

Yea but I am not convinced I can't just put in a high output alternator in. I don't think I need a external regulator. Im calling a well known audio shop tomorrow they build cars also and see what they can do

I don't think you need that big of an alt if you are dropping to 12.3 with the stock in. 250 should suffice, and 300 would be more than enough. Either way, both are reputable companies, and if the guy says it needs to be externally regulated than I'd say it probably does. It would not be worth losing the credibility he has gained.

I don't think you need that big of an alt if you are dropping to 12.3 with the stock in. 250 should suffice, and 300 would be more than enough. Either way, both are reputable companies, and if the guy says it needs to be externally regulated than I'd say it probably does. It would not be worth losing the credibility he has gained.
yea but one well known company says it doesnt need to be externally regulated and one does so I dunno what to do?

It probably doesn't NEED to be externally regulated. You just might get stuck charging at 13.5-13.8 volts if you choose not to go that route.

Mike is prolly referring to a 6 phase alt which is an extremely durable large alt with lots of power. The reason for the external reg is to keep the charging system at a higher voltage. Because your car charges at lower voltages You can go either way if you like. But with the external reg you should get better performance from your system especially at full tilt

Hello,

i have a Singer Alt too, for pretty much the same price. Be sure that you do nothing wrong with that - dont try to save money on the heart of your bord electric - if it has failures possible would damage everything on cars electric. It was the best investment i ever made - i love that beast.

Even if your car has PCM Controller its good to have the Amperes behind the Voltage.

Best regards

Bari

Yea price seems too steep. Looking to spend 400 tops
You won't find a Japanese alt that's over 300 amps that cheap anywhere. Unless the ratings on the alt is very over inflated For $400 will usually get you a 200 amp to maybe a 225 amp at best

You won't find a Japanese alt that's over 300 amps that cheap anywhere. Unless the ratings on the alt is very over inflated For $400 will usually get you a 200 amp to maybe a 225 amp at best
i found a 200a fairly cheap. so right now my voltage drops to about 11.9 is the lowest I have recorded. I have the big 3 done in 0 gauge and a optima up front. If I add a 200A alternator do you think my voltage will stay above 13? right now my alt is a 110A

Maybe. What alt. who makes it ? I've found that the cheap alts are that way for a reason and most don't put out what's claimed and don't last very long

Maybe. What alt. who makes it ? I've found that the cheap alts are that way for a reason and most don't put out what's claimed and don't last very long
it would be rebuilt by someone around here. He said he puts a smaller pulley on it also. but 200a is the highest they will do because anything higher is unsafe for the car they said lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.