roughly $600 to spend on component sets what to get?

If you have never used active crossovers before I would not dive in with the Scanspeak woofers and tweeters. BTW that price is EACH. It's around $650 for two 18W mids and two 3004 tweeters.

Thats alot of money when you can easily destroy them learning how to set crossovers.

I don't know somebody that can tune it for me. I was going to learn by watching YouTube video lol. There's a guy on youtube that setup his Dayton dsp-408 and he setup his system with a tune and suggest that his tune is a good baseline. Either or, with the comp sets, my initial plans was to go passive with either hertz mille pro or morels hybrids then get rear coaxial then get a separate mono amp with a prefab stealthbox with a sundown sd4

I don't know somebody that can tune it for me. I was going to learn by watching YouTube video lol. There's a guy on youtube that setup his Dayton dsp-408 and he setup his system with a tune and suggest that his tune is a good baseline. Either or, with the comp sets, my initial plans was to go passive with either hertz mille pro or morels hybrids then get rear coaxial then get a separate mono amp with a prefab stealthbox with a sundown sd4
Just because he shows how he set up his gear through that crossover doesn’t mean that’s how you would set up your gear through that crossover. It would be different. You would have to know crossover points and stuff like that. It takes experience to tune an active crossover and calculating specs to set on the crossover. It seems simple but isn’t and can take a good set up and make it sound like **** if you don’t know what you’re doing. Start off with components. Just get components dude. You will be way happier. For your price range go with hertz components. But like I said, crossovers on components are already set perfectly for the tweeters and drivers they come with and I don’t see why you should complicate anything with buying the tweeters, drivers and crossover(s) separately. Don’t go active. I run components and maybe one day I’ll run active but I’ve never owned one and have been happy with my components. They sound good and the line between good with passive and great with active is so thin. So no need to cross it if you are almost there and still sounding good. Too much complications and risk.

Last edited:
Just because he shows how he set up his gear through that crossover doesn’t mean that’s how you would set up your gear through that crossover. It would be different. You would have to know crossover points and stuff like that. It takes experience to tune an active crossover and calculating specs to set on the crossover. It seems simple but isn’t and can take a good set up and make it sound like **** if you don’t know what you’re doing. Start off with components. Just get components dude. You will be way happier. For your price range go with hertz components. But like I said, crossovers on components are already set perfectly for the tweeters and drivers they come with and I don’t see why you should complicate anything with buying the tweeters, drivers and crossover(s) separately. Don’t go active. I run components and maybe one day I’ll run active but I’ve never owned one and have been happy with my components. They sound good and the line between good with passive and great with active is so thin. So no need to cross it if you are almost there and still sounding good. Too much complications and risk.
It’s not that hard to tune a 13band (his kenwood has) and set hpf/lpf filters on a deck or amp. It can be done keeping the volume low and gain very conservative if not lower than what it will be set for daily.

U need an active crossover now. Your head unit won’t do the job like you want it to. The components would of been easier because they come with a passive crossover but the active can achieve more and a better sound to what you have. But then on another note, on components, the passives aren’t that bad because they are made special for that specific driver and tweeter. But go active if you know what you’re doing. If you are not familiar with active crossovers then go with hertz components. Focal are better if you have more money to spend. but for the price you are trying to spend, hertz components would be the route to go in my opinion.
I'm late to this thread but I'm in love with my ps165F's from focal. Plenty of high end to cover my single 12" Zv5.

U guys
It’s not that hard to tune a 13band (his kenwood has) and set hpf/lpf filters on a deck or amp. It can be done keeping the volume low and gain very conservative if not lower than what it will be set for daily.
so if i go active, i dont need a dsp since my deck has the option, but i do need a capacitor on the tweeters correct. But if i want to get the most out of the system, I should get an aftermarket dsp? I know its simpler just to go passive and the install is pretty much straight forward, However, those scanspeak drivers and a jl twk 88 dsp sounds mighty temping. Jl twk seems to be more user friendly

I mean The twk Has lazy auto eq which may not even be that good in your vehicle so if you’re going for easy just get a comp set and go passive. U don’t absolutely need a dsp to get a decent tune. 13band plus the combined hpf/lpf on the deck and amp will get you there. But if your goal is to buy a bunch of extra gear have at it.

Last edited:
He is not talking about his head unit though. I was talking about crossovers. For drivers and tweeters you need crossovers. Now for coaxials then u can run just the 13 band EQ on a standard head unit. But coaxials don’t reliever good sound quality compared to components With tweeters and extra drivers, mid range, full range and or mid bass. Depending on your set up.

U guys

so if i go active, i dont need a dsp since my deck has the option, but i do need a capacitor on the tweeters correct. But if i want to get the most out of the system, I should get an aftermarket dsp? I know its simpler just to go passive and the install is pretty much straight forward, However, those scanspeak drivers and a jl twk 88 dsp sounds mighty temping. Jl twk seems to be more user friendly
U need a crossover. Passive or active. Go with components or learn how to use active. It’s best for a beginner or intermediate to go with components with passives. U don’t need that dsp. Just get components that come with passive crossovers. Or take a big chance and buy mid range drives, all the same size and tweeters the same size of corse and run active an active crossover. But if I were u, I wouldn’t run active. And u don’t need a dsp.

I mean The twk Has lazy auto eq which may not even be that good in your vehicle so if you’re going for easy just get a comp set and go passive. U don’t absolutely need a dsp to get a decent tune. 13band plus the combined hpf/lpf on the deck will get you there. But if your goal is to buy a bunch of extra gear have at it.
The 13 band EQ and filters in his head unit would be ok for coaxials but not real speakers and tweeters. An external crossover(s) is needed. Bass blockers (capacitors) on the tweeters is cool for filtering the tweeters but what is he gonna do about the mids. HE NEEDS A CROSSOVER OR CROSSOVERS. The head unit won’t do the whole job.

I watch the video on that head unit and it’s bad ass but i would still get components and run passives that came with the components. No need to get anything else. No dsp and no active. That’s too much. Especially for someone who isn’t familiar with them. I vote overkill. So BCotrell, I agree with you. But he needs to run components like he first intended and they come with passive crossovers and he won’t need compactors or a dsp.

U guys

If you want to go active that head would be a good starting point. If you go with the scanspeak tweeters there should be a spec for fs whatever it is double it. That’ll be the lowest you want to crossover at. So if it has a fs of 800 don’t go below 1600hz with a 24db slope and you’ll be fine. Doubt you’ll end up going that low anyway with those mids.

2.5k would be a good starting point. Treat the doors for your mids. Seal it all off with deadening and use a product like fast rings.

Haven’t read the whole thread but I imagine you’re going to be using a sub? Your mids will need to be crossed over on the low side too. 80hz is a good starting point. Tune everything separately. Meaning turn off your sub turn down your tweeters and listen to your mids when tuning your mids. If ya hear any bottoming from the mids go up on your crossover and or use a steeper slope. Personally I like 24 dB for most music but that’s subjective.
Get used to how that hu works eq,crossover,and slopes and if you want more tuning capability later then add a dsp

If that hu is worth a damn it’ll store your crossover points even when the battery is unhooked. You can run a cap on the tweeters for insurance.

Not sure what all this you need to run passive talk is all about. How are ya ever gonna get into active that way idk.

Just seen you have the 905 hu and not the 906 like I originally thought you had. To control the mids and highs through the hu you need a 3 way crossover. The 905 only has a 2 way.A dsp would be ideal for the hu you’re using to run active.Even the 906 looks to be pretty limited as far as slopes and crossover points.

Attachments

• Making the Case for Active Crossovers vs. Passive – Xkitz Electronics 2.pdf
    169.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
The 13 band EQ and filters in his head unit would be ok for coaxials but not real speakers and tweeters. An external crossover(s) is needed. Bass blockers (capacitors) on the tweeters is cool for filtering the tweeters but what is he gonna do about the mids. HE NEEDS A CROSSOVER OR CROSSOVERS. The head unit won’t do the whole job.
Read my response on page one, outline how it would be done with his amp and the deck

Read my response on page one, outline how it would be done with his amp and the deck
he would be fine with just the head unit if he didn’t have tweeters. That creates 6 drivers now and 4 must be wire in parallel or series or through a passive crossover. simply wiring them in parallel or series with a capacitor for the tweeter still won’t give him full control over the frequencies going to his front channels without crossover. The front channels only will believe there is one driver per channel when actually there are a driver and a tweeter. There is no way to set that stereo to split and crossover the frequencies. So he just wants to use a capacitor to block the low frequencies to his tweeters but still that doesn’t yield that much control over the frequencies. He will need a crossover to crossover between his front drivers and tweeters. Not even the best stereo can split frequencies on one channel. That’s where a crossover comes into play.

All he needs to do is run components that come with drivers, tweeters and crossovers. That can be done with any head unit or amp. I don’t understand what you are getting at. The guy needs crossovers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

caliboyta

10+ year member
caliboyta
newark, ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from