RF t1000.1bd Amp, hot to touch!

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey everyone, been a silent lurker for the past 3 months or so. Finally joined today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hopefully I can get some input from all this knowledgeable members!

Anyways, I just decided to upgrade my amp to a true rating on brand one. I went with a rockford t1000.1 because i got it for less than 300 and I had heard they are under-rated. Sure enough they are, my birthsheet stating 1560Wrms at 1ohm, 1400~~ at 2ohms, and 800~~ at 4ohms. I am pushing a pair of Sundowns at 1ohm for a 1200w load. I use to have them running with a cheap hifonics which put in work but I knew I wasn't getting anywhere near 1000w with it. I finally upgraded, amp came in and hooked it up. This was on a cheap-o 4guage wiring kit with a 60a inline fuse. It ran fine and loudish but when I went to touch it only after 10 mins, it was running HOT. Like lay your hand on for 3 seconds and you get a sizzle feeling hot. It didn't go into protect or thermal mode. I figured it may be starved for power. I do have a yellow top and big 3 done on my alt. I went ahead and bought a stinger 1/0 kit, great thick wire. Came along with a 300a anl fuse. I did it in hopes that the amp would get its adequate power drink and well because the cheap 4 gauge I had was just, cheap far from true 4 if anything. Anyways, the amp still continues to run hot. The fins get burning hot as they disperse heat but the center of the bottom and plastic top are as well. I am not sure if this normal operation or my ground point is probably weak? OR could it be that the 1/0 is on a distro to a 4gauge (since that is what the amp accepts) and I used the old 4guage I already had? I've checked all my wiring from battery to the grounding (grounded on a bolt under the seat, grinding down the area for shinny metal).

Sorry for the long post, especially being my first one. I just want to know if these thing normally run this hot or I could have a bad one. I don't want to call RF and have them tell me that as long as it doesn't turn off its fine, because it feels burning hot and I don't think thats normal....

Running a 1 ohm load it will certainly run hotter than u may be use to seeing an amp run, say under 2 or 4 ohm loads. I would think if there was a problem the thermals would kick in. As long as you have a good earth point which it sounds like you do (not the bolt holding the seat in). If the amp was starved for power generally u'd find it would shut down or cut out especially under load. Unplug yr rca/signal leads from your head unit to ensure it's not earthing back through there. I doubt it is, as this is likely to destroy your preamp in the head unit.

Not sure if you had the same configuration with the Hifonics or if it was running 2 or 4 ohm. If you still have doubts check with your local dealer or drop R/F an e-mail outlining your concerns //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Yeah the hifonics was wired down to 1ohm as well. It ran cool to the touch. How can you tell exactly if the rca

Are trying to ground to the headunit? I had a kenwood with the hifonics but put in an alpine when I got the

Rf mono.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.