Replacing decade old factory auto w/ High quality

Participant count
  • Participant list

p51mustang23

I'm in the market to buy a used car, as my CRV lease expires in december. I'm looking at a number of possibilities, such as a ~'98 chevy camaro z28. However any car built in this time must have terribad audio quality due to old technology / wear and tear.

My Dads car, an '07 jeep commander has an audio package with great sounding speakers with lots of base and they don't distort until they are outside of comfortable listening range. (I like it loud enough to shake my rear view mirror, but not enough to shake the entire car frame!)

I know that the first order of business will be a new head unit. Something that has a 3.5mm audio jack input + usb input is a must. I could live with replacing this and nothing else... must.. have... ipod! lol:crazy: I don't know enough about car audio to request anything else.

What can I do about new speakers? I'd want to just replace the existing ones in the vehicle, not add any new units, and definitely don't want a "box". Also, would I need to replace wiring at all? Or will the old wiring be compatible with new equipment?

Thanks in advance for suggestions, an plz plz plz don't tell me to get some 1000 watt setup! :p

I'm a real DIY guy... I really hate paying for labor when it can be avoided, but it's not like a can't.

Im a rock guy... but when Lil' Wayne is bein played I'm all about the boom boom //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'm not sure that my Dad's car has a dedicated sub (unless it's hidden away - i never actually searched - it sounds like it's there!) and it still pulls that off for me though.

Info on camaro:

Deck Size: DIN and Half (1-DIN)

Front Speaker Size: 6.5" Front Speaker Depth: 2.3"

Front Tweeter Size: 1" Front Tweeter Depth: 1"

Rear Speaker Size: 6.5" Rear Speaker Depth: 2.4"

does 1.5 DIN size mean anything about finding something that fits for a head? I only see 1 DIN head sizes available...how does one make that work and still look nice?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.