USB SSD Drives

Participant count
  • Participant list

lillitnn92
10+ year member

It's been a long time since I've been here and I can't find any of the previous threads where hard drive discussion was taking place. I hope I'm not beating an old topic, but I tried searching to no avail.

Has anyone tried USB SSD's on their head unit's? If so, are there any power issues? I know some hard drives required additional power source as well as the HU's USB. I have two standard drives, one 2.5" and a 1.8", the bigger one requires additional power. Would love to have an SSD if they work flawlessly (and can find one with space I need at a good price)

Thanks!

I can't think of a reason a SSD would NOT work with a head unit because there is no disk with platters to spin up. The only thing I don't like about hard drives connected to head units is that it takes next to forever to find your music when you want to listen to something. My wife actually gave up her 320 GB hard drive in favor of a 120 GB iPod because the iPod was easier to search and could use playlists.

Yeah, when you only have one line of display (like I do now) it *****, but doesn't a 3 line display help with that? I'm seeing a lot more HU's that are making hard drive navigation easier because of popularity. Kenwood has software with their HU's that allow playlists, but I have yet to use it as it would bring my old computer to a halt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.