Replaced front speakers - next steps? Amp? Rears? Sub? Biggest bang-for-buck?

Participant count
  • Participant list

swartzy.baby

Hey folks! Newbie car audio guy here, looking for some input on next steps.

Got a 2015 Infiniti Q50 with the non-Bose stereo system. It is pretty awful (I came from an Acura TL with the ELS system), honestly, and really doesn't belong in a car this expensive. But I couldn't bring myself to pony up an extra $4k for the Bose system, so I'm upgrading!

I installed a set of Boston SC60 components up front, and I'm really happy with how these things sound. But with them installed it's obvious the factory amp just isn't enough. So I know that'll need to change (looking at the JL Audio JX400/4d). And because there's a bit of a mismatch between the fronts and rears, I know I'll want to throw in some Bostons (probably SC65) in the back as well. And I know I'll eventually want a sub to round out the low end. Okay, cool, I know where I want to end up eventually.

I can't go all-in just yet, so I'll have to gradually build up. I'm having trouble figuring out where to start next. If I knew that the amp & rears would bump sound to a new level, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat over going with a sub first. But am I just wasting that money unless I buy something like a cleansweep?

First thing I would do is buy an amp and push some power. I am a huge fan of tons of power to the front stage, so I would probably bridge that JL amp to the components. Next step I would focus on sealing up and deadening the door. Make sure your component install is the best it can be. (Solid baffle, no air leaks, ect.). Then I would move on to a subwoofer. Last things I would do would be a processor and then maybe rears.

Thanks for the input. I wondered about just throwing power / money / effort into the fronts and ignoring the rears for now, that seems like a solid suggestion.

Regarding the comment about disappointment - I'll do some reading tonight, but was that a generic "You'll never be satisfied" kind of thing? Or are there some actual problems with either my car or the components I mentioned? If you've got a specific thread or issue in mind I'd appreciate a link or general description.

I see you throwing money at unneeded BS. Like the clean sweep of the new Fix. They will wipe out the factory settings but give you no way to build anything back into it.

The car has a set EQ curve for the speakers it came with. Just swapping speakers, You may like it now but when you get over the new feeling you will notice it don't sound right.

Don't just buy a name. JL only has a few pieces worth having. This isn't 1990.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.