Full build help, plenty of info on what I'm looking at, PLEASE HELP!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Autotech91

US
Hey everyone! First off I actually install car audio for a living, really just looking for some opinions, I've been doing this for about a yr and a half so I don't need any basic advice (electrical etc.).

I listen to (and produce) mostly electronic music, hip hop, and reggae, but i do listen to some classic rock, ska, etc... Sound quality is definitely extremely important (producing music and installing car audio I notice small issues) but I also need good bass and volume, so I'm really looking for the best of both worlds. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible without sacrificing volume and SQ, but I'm willing to spend a bit more if the products make a big difference.

Now, I'm looking to put a component system, and likely a dual 12" sub system along with rear channel speakers and a 4 channel amp into my 2007 non jbl 4runner. Due to my job I have access to industry discounts (currently kicker up to the kx line, and jbl/infinity's entire catalog.).

So for my component set I'm looling at the JBL 660GTI set (150w rms 4ohm), or the kappa perfect6.1s (100w rms 4ohm), the gti set is about $150 more for me, so I wanted to see if anyone has experience with these systems and if its worth the extra cash, normally it would be about a $1100 difference... And then the infinity kappa 60.11, a bit less $ than the perfects,* 2ohm, sensitivity of 93db and 90w. Rms.* And also would the kicker kss654 components (about $100 cheaper than the infinitys) even come close to the SQ of either of those sets?

Now this is where things get a little complex, for my rear speakers I'm having trouble finding anything which will match up to the quality of the jbl system, or the infinitys... The best i can finds from infinity in a 6.5" is the Kappa 62.11i set, they are 2ohm speakers though which won't match up. The best from jbl i can find are the jbl gto629's but they are 3ohm. So ideally i'd like to put some decent speakers in the back, but i would like to match everything up by power handling as im still relatively new to car audio... My guess is, one of those sets would work okay if i just turn the gain down on my rear channels but im not sure. So the KSC654 set is 4ohms, and handles 100w rms, they definitely aren't my first choice though. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated, all those speakers are under $100 so any reccomendations should take that into consideration.

Next up are speaker amps, I have a few in mind, the infinity kappa k5 is the first, then the jbl gtr-7535, both about the same price, they both push 75w at 4ohms and 100w at 2ohms with less than 0.1%thd+n (sorry the kappa is >1%thd) and >75db signal to noise ratio, theyre both 5 channels but I'll be buying another amp for my subs. I think the jbl gtr-104 ($50 less) may be a better deal though, as its a 4channel pushing 120wrms @2ohm, and 100w rms @4ohms with >0.1%thd+N and >75db SNR. Now the kicker kx4004 amp is 100-150 dollars cheaper, pushes 100w per channel at 2ohms but can be bridged to 4ohms, it would be about the same price to get 2 of these as the cheapest jbl amp costs, and bridged it pushes 200w x2, its SNR is >95db though, and they don't list the THD. Any help here would be great too.

Now for the subs id need to build a box for, keep in mind I need to buy two so the price of two will be included in the price diff I give you.* 1st up,* the Alpine SWR-12d4, rms of 1000w with dual 4ohm coils. The infinity kappa 1200W, sensitivity @2.83v, FR 23HZ-400HZ, 2 OR 4ohms ($100 cheaper than the alpines).* The JBL S3-1224, Sensitivity @92db, 500w rms, and 25hz - 175hz (also $100 cheaper than alpines). Now the infinity kappa 120.9 I've seen rave reviews about, 350w rms,* 23hz - 400hz, 91db sens. and they're $50 cheaper than the jbl and kappa. The kicker 40cvx122 comes in a 2 or 4ohm specs are the same,* 750rms 87.1db @1w/1m 20-500hz, they are $20 more than the jbls.* So yeah any help here would be great.

Subwoofer amps I have access to all the kicker amps except the iq series for decent prices. The jbl gtr-1001, 700w rms @4ohm, 1000w @2ohm, >80db. And the rest of the jbl catalog, i know i need to match the amp to the subs so any reccommendations re: amps to match the subs you like would be great.

Accessories The kicker KQ30 EQ is a great price, will this make a big difference to my system? It still adds a chunk of cash, but its a hefty discunt all the same.

I dont think the kicker sum8 would hae any use but i can get that too.

Hope i Can get some help here! And thanks so much for taking the time to read!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Hey everyone! First off I actually install car audio for a living, really just looking for some opinions, I've been doing this for about a yr and a half so I don't need any basic advice (electrical etc.).
I listen to (and produce) mostly electronic music, hip hop, and reggae, but i do listen to some classic rock, ska, etc... Sound quality is definitely extremely important (producing music and installing car audio I notice small issues) but I also need good bass and volume, so I'm really looking for the best of both worlds. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible without sacrificing volume and SQ, but I'm willing to spend a bit more if the products make a big difference.

Now, I'm looking to put a component system, and likely a dual 12" sub system along with rear channel speakers and a 4 channel amp into my 2007 non jbl 4runner. Due to my job I have access to industry discounts (currently kicker up to the kx line, and jbl/infinity's entire catalog.).

So for my component set I'm looling at the JBL 660GTI set (150w rms 4ohm), or the kappa perfect6.1s (100w rms 4ohm), the gti set is about $150 more for me, so I wanted to see if anyone has experience with these systems and if its worth the extra cash, normally it would be about a $1100 difference... And then the infinity kappa 60.11, a bit less $ than the perfects,* 2ohm, sensitivity of 93db and 90w. Rms.* And also would the kicker kss654 components (about $100 cheaper than the infinitys) even come close to the SQ of either of those sets?

Now this is where things get a little complex, for my rear speakers I'm having trouble finding anything which will match up to the quality of the jbl system, or the infinitys... The best i can finds from infinity in a 6.5" is the Kappa 62.11i set, they are 2ohm speakers though which won't match up. The best from jbl i can find are the jbl gto629's but they are 3ohm. So ideally i'd like to put some decent speakers in the back, but i would like to match everything up by power handling as im still relatively new to car audio... My guess is, one of those sets would work okay if i just turn the gain down on my rear channels but im not sure. So the KSC654 set is 4ohms, and handles 100w rms, they definitely aren't my first choice though. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated, all those speakers are under $100 so any reccomendations should take that into consideration.

Next up are speaker amps, I have a few in mind, the infinity kappa k5 is the first, then the jbl gtr-7535, both about the same price, they both push 75w at 4ohms and 100w at 2ohms with less than 0.1%thd+n (sorry the kappa is >1%thd) and >75db signal to noise ratio, theyre both 5 channels but I'll be buying another amp for my subs. I think the jbl gtr-104 ($50 less) may be a better deal though, as its a 4channel pushing 120wrms @2ohm, and 100w rms @4ohms with >0.1%thd+N and >75db SNR. Now the kicker kx4004 amp is 100-150 dollars cheaper, pushes 100w per channel at 2ohms but can be bridged to 4ohms, it would be about the same price to get 2 of these as the cheapest jbl amp costs, and bridged it pushes 200w x2, its SNR is >95db though, and they don't list the THD. Any help here would be great too.

Now for the subs id need to build a box for, keep in mind I need to buy two so the price of two will be included in the price diff I give you.* 1st up,* the Alpine SWR-12d4, rms of 1000w with dual 4ohm coils. The infinity kappa 1200W, sensitivity @2.83v, FR 23HZ-400HZ, 2 OR 4ohms ($100 cheaper than the alpines).* The JBL S3-1224, Sensitivity @92db, 500w rms, and 25hz - 175hz (also $100 cheaper than alpines). Now the infinity kappa 120.9 I've seen rave reviews about, 350w rms,* 23hz - 400hz, 91db sens. and they're $50 cheaper than the jbl and kappa. The kicker 40cvx122 comes in a 2 or 4ohm specs are the same,* 750rms 87.1db @1w/1m 20-500hz, they are $20 more than the jbls.* So yeah any help here would be great.

Subwoofer amps I have access to all the kicker amps except the iq series for decent prices. The jbl gtr-1001, 700w rms @4ohm, 1000w @2ohm, >80db. And the rest of the jbl catalog, i know i need to match the amp to the subs so any reccommendations re: amps to match the subs you like would be great.

Accessories The kicker KQ30 EQ is a great price, will this make a big difference to my system? It still adds a chunk of cash, but its a hefty discunt all the same.

I dont think the kicker sum8 would hae any use but i can get that too.

Hope i Can get some help here! And thanks so much for taking the time to read!

Please help!!

Lol... can spot a fellow "retail" installer from a mile away. I am about to pull the trigger on the 660GTIs as well. The Infinitis aren't even in the same class. Use your Polk accommodation to get the D4000.4 and bridge the GTIs on them. That is my plan at least. As far as subs, the Type-Rs are good subwoofers and I would go with those over anything else you have access to. For the rears, I would just go with the JBLs we sell in the store and run them off the deck. If you know how to use the KQ30, then yes it will make a big difference. If you don't, then you'll probably make it worse.

Lol... can spot a fellow "retail" installer from a mile away. I am about to pull the trigger on the 660GTIs as well. The Infinitis aren't even in the same class. Use your Polk accommodation to get the D4000.4 and bridge the GTIs on them. That is my plan at least. As far as subs, the Type-Rs are good subwoofers and I would go with those over anything else you have access to. For the rears, I would just go with the JBLs we sell in the store and run them off the deck. If you know how to use the KQ30, then yes it will make a big difference. If you don't, then you'll probably make it worse.
Haha thank you SO much man, I'm sure we work at the same establishment, and it looks like the polk accomodation is GONE! And any reccomendations on sub amps for the type rs? Or also alternatives to the polk 4channel?

Also which type r 12"s would you go with? And with which amp?

Also, I dunno how recently you scoped the harman accomodation, but they added a TON of amps, the 4 channel looks okay... Not sure though now with the lack of polk...

Also do you really think the type rs are worth the extra $280?

The GTIs need a ton of power, from what I have read. I don't think anything JBL/Infiniti offers can give a ton of power, even bridged. The GTR-104 is only 240watts bridged. I have no experience with the JBL/Infiniti subs, the the Type-Rs are a tried and proven woofer. But two of those and you will probably need to go with a Kicker amp.

The GTIs need a ton of power, from what I have read. I don't think anything JBL/Infiniti offers can give a ton of power, even bridged. The GTR-104 is only 240watts bridged. I have no experience with the JBL/Infiniti subs, the the Type-Rs are a tried and proven woofer. But two of those and you will probably need to go with a Kicker amp.
So you think the best kicker K series amp we have would do okay with some tuning? They are powerhouses for sure...

And bridged those jbl amps wold push 150 easy...

And bridged those jbl amps wold push 150 easy...

As would the infinity, and I've heard both jbl and infinity have good SQ, i was gonna grab an Alpine Pd series before the recall. Lol

From my research the GTIs will laugh at 150watts. I am planning to have 400 on tap per side. I would suggest signing up and researching over on DIYMA. This forum is pretty much useless for anything but the classifieds and B.S.

From my research the GTIs will laugh at 150watts. I am planning to have 400 on tap per side. I would suggest signing up and researching over on DIYMA. This forum is pretty much useless for anything but the classifieds and B.S.
Thanks a ton man! I've been trying to find a half decent forum for a minute! Are there any amps in our catalog that can push 800 bridged (other than the alpines such have been catching fire lol) without godawful distortion?

sounds like you're limited to that one set of brands..

if you're willing to step outside of those brands there's a lot more help you'll receive and im betting you'll like the results. it might even be cheaper than your discounts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.