Repair or replace my sub amp, Sundown Audio 100.2

Participant count
  • Participant list

jjminch

So my amp is having problems. Runs into protect mode whenever an RCA cable is connected to it. Contacted a shop, and they quoted me 50-80 bucks for the repair. Which sounds fair. They also said I need to take a meter to my RCAs and see if there is a problem there, which I plan on doing this weekend.

This amp powers two 10" Memphis subs. They're mounted in an underseat sealed enclosure on the rear bench of my Nissan Titan. Here are the specs Memphis 15-MS104D (15ms104d) 10" Dual 4 ohm MClass Subwoofer

The subs do ok, but for two 10s I thought they'd hit harder. Based on the cost two repair, should I just pick up a new/used amp? Figure price point of under $150. Only caveat is it has to be similar form factor, as my box has a built in amp shelf.

If you do recommend a new amp, what should I look at? And will my system hit harder, or is it limited by the subs and not the amp?

The 100.2 will put out every bit of it's rated power and a bit more. Your amp power is pretty well matched to your subs. A bigger amp might push them a little harder, but I doubt you'll hear that much difference and if you push them much harder you might blow the subs. How are the subs wired? Should be either wired as a single 4 ohm load with amp bridged, or on separate channels as 2 ohm load each.

Are your subs in separate sealed sections or do they share a single space in the enclosure? What is the enclosure volume (cu-ft)?

Can you post a pic of the enclosure and subs? I'm afraid to get noticeably more 'hit' you are talking about more than an amp upgrade.

They're wired In a bridged setup at 4ohm. I'm going to have to measure the box tomorrow. It's made by tech12v, and each driver has a sealed enclosure. Since it was an underseat enclosure for an ext cab, I'm guessing around .5 for the enclosure.

One thing I will say about the Memphis subs is they have good SQ. I'm a big home audio guy and was impressed.

Here are the pics. Box has a slant to it at the top, so putting dimensions into a box calculator weren't exact. Looks like .48 cubic feet for internal volume, when I averaged out the height. Mounting depth is 5"

The replacement amp needs to fit in an area 16.5" wide.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.