Relocating Factory Stereo?

Participant count
  • Participant list

shadowmyst87

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu LS, I want to buy a double DIN aftermarket stereo but I also want to retain the DIC.

The only option I can think of is to relocate the factory stereo.

Does anybody know the process for doing this? I've read that you can wire the factory stereo into the aftermarket stereo. Will it pose any problems power wise? Where is the best place to relocate? Some have mentioned the glove box but it seems too small to fit in there.

Thanks

I was thinking if you have the radio that displays the info even if you relocate the deck the display will still be on the face of the factory radio and probably out of sight. your best bet might be this. iDatalink - Maestro - Home fill out vehicle info select steering wheel and kenwood deck. This will allow vehicle info to be displayed on the aftermarket deck.

I was thinking if you have the radio that displays the info even if you relocate the deck the display will still be on the face of the factory radio and probably out of sight. your best bet might be this. iDatalink - Maestro - Home fill out vehicle info select steering wheel and kenwood deck. This will allow vehicle info to be displayed on the aftermarket deck.
Thanks, I'm not overly concerned about the factory being visible. As long as I can access it comfortably.

Here is my factory stereo,

malibu0407-300x225.jpg

Well I think you have some misinformation here. You can retain the DIC with an aftermarket radio, its just not cheap. Single-din: 99-3303, double-din 95-3303B both come with all the accessories needed and no need to relocate the factory radio.

Well I think you have some misinformation here. You can retain the DIC with an aftermarket radio, its just not cheap. Single-din: 99-3303, double-din 95-3303B both come with all the accessories needed and no need to relocate the factory radio.

Thanks, Crutchfield was telling me that a double DIN adapter DIC doesntr exist!

But wow, $229? Would I be saving anything if I relocated the stereo?

saving money killing time. IMO I would spring for the adapter. Make life easy.

Thanks again. Your right, it probably would be easier. I'm looking at spending over $400 with the stereo I have in mind, that's not including other things I might need.

I was kind of hoping to stay under $300.

So I'm thinking of buying the Metra 95-3303B Double DIN Dash Kit, where would a good place be to mount the DIC?

Thanks, Crutchfield was telling me that a double DIN adapter DIC doesntr exist! Well they're wrong, can't believe everything big companies say! lol
But wow, $229? Would I be saving anything if I relocated the stereo?besides money, no. But you'll spend a lot of time extending wires and relocating the radio. it's most likely going to have to go in the trunk.
See bolded text.

OInteresting, Newegg says that the Metra 95-3303B is only for OnStar retention. Now my car doesn't have OnStar. Will I still be able to use this dash kit?
Yes, onstar or not the kit works. Depends on if you want the DIC visible. usually clients don't really mind it being in the glove box.

It seems like the iDatalink Maestro RR which is the one I would need doesn't support my 2006 Malibu...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.