Regarding the speakers marked as HD-62EF on TheZeb.

gibhunter
10+ year member

Basically, the ones sold on TheZeb, should not be called HD-62EF, but rather the EF-61. People seem to think that they are the same as the HD-62, but there is in fact a substantial difference between the two.

HD-62 - EF-61

180 watt RMS - 120 watt RMS

1" tweeter - 3/4" tweeter

560 crossover with screw type connectors - 456a crossover with some funky connectors.

Most likely a different magnet in the midrange driver, etc.

The only thing they seem to share with the real HD-62 components seem to be the cast (not stamped) frame and carbon treated paper cones, everything else is rather substantially different. In fact, save for the cast frames, these seem more similar to the CL-61 component system rather than to the HD series.

I just thought I'd warn some people before they buy them thinking that they come with the 560 crossovers and the 1" tweeters. For $200 it would be a hell of a steal, alas what seems to good to be true, usually is.

I don't know what's up w/ CDT, but that model used to be HD62EF. EF=euro frame. They just changed the name I guess.

hmm...what's the problem???

When I bought them (hd-62ef, two weeks of ownership), I was under the impression that it was next best thing after the cl-61s (for the price)...

There is no problem, it's just that some people think that they are getting a real HD series speakers with just a tiny difference in size, when in reality they are getting a CL series with cast (instead of stamped) baskets. I almost bought them thinking that they would come with the tweeters I wanted (1" since my cutouts are too big for .75" tweeters) untill I learned that these are really the EF series that come with .75" tweeters.

2002 Model, Cl-61s came with 1" Tweeters... they just cheaped out recently. I have CL-61s, bought early on when they were $149 on theZEB and got 1".

But yes, the EFs are just Cl-61s with 40 extra watts RMS, everything else is the same.

wtf...why care, they have HD-62's on thezeb right now going for 229$ shell out the extra 30$ you cheap bastard. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif theres no picture but who the **** cares:: HD-62

Fawk that. I got Kicker RS6 for $50 less than that with the 1" silk dome tweeters I wanted. At 100watt RMS they won't be starved for power like the true HD-62s would be from my amp that does 90watt RMS per channel.

Ps. Good call, I definitely am a cheap bastard:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.