Recommended inline fuse?

Participant count
  • Participant list

omglolwot

CarAudio.com Newbie
So i currently have american bass 12 xrd4 and its only hooked up to a small 2 channel pioneer amp at 8 ohms. I am running 6 awg wire and a 50 amp inline fuse. I plan on upgrading soon to a taramps md 1200.1 2 ohms since its seems like a good budget amp that would do what i want on stock electrical. So first should i just upgrade to 4 awg? or should 6 be enough for this amp. Also just not 100 percent sure on what to use for a inline fuse. Should a 100 amp fuse be fine ? or should i go lower more around the 62 max amps it says it pulls playing music.

Fuses should be based on the amplifier and the manufacturer's recommendations for it. You said a small 2 channel pioneer amp, but they make a lot of them. What's the model number?

The new amp you mentioned recommends a 5 AWG cable with 65A fuse. 6 AWG is only good to 55 amps safely. It's worth getting a new wiring kit, I'd get either a 4 or lower depending on your plans for the future. When these car fuses hit their rating they can last as long as 10 minutes without blowing, so don't worry about the fuse teetering on the edge of its peak amperage draw. It should be relatively close for safety.

Last edited:
Is the Taramps the only amp? I like to count my amps fuse total to decide what wire and fuse to use. Mine is 165a so it’s over what 4 awg is rated for so went with 1/0 power wire in and two 4 awg out of the d block. I use a 200a fuse.

yes the taramps will be the only amp and i didnt specify the pioneer since i didnt think it really mattered since i am replacing it
and yeah thats what i figured just 65 amps for 1200 watts seems so low but i dont know much about Brazilian boards compared to korean/chinese. so get a 4 awg kit and like a 65-70 amp fuse?

yes the taramps will be the only amp and i didnt specify the pioneer since i didnt think it really mattered since i am replacing it
and yeah thats what i figured just 65 amps for 1200 watts seems so low but i dont know much about Brazilian boards compared to korean/chinese. so get a 4 awg kit and like a 65-70 amp fuse?

Oh, hold up. I don't know why they decided to separate the specs like they did.. They quote both a 62A draw, 65A fuse rating, and 124A (sinusoidal). I've never had an amplifier brand recommend a lower amp fuse than it could even theoretically supply at its RMS wattage and 14.5v. Using the other method for fusing you'd do worst case scenario, 1200w rms / 12.2v / .88 for efficiency loss between draw and output, class D's are very efficient. That's 112A So I guess it would be better to approximate based on that. The odds of you jamming that hard at that low voltage (car off) are pretty low if you value your battery health, so I think 110A is the fuse to get. The cable would then need to be 4 at a minimum and 2 would help with voltage drop to the amp terminals and give you a little wiggle room later.

Sorry about that, I've never seen such a dumb fuse recommendation. It makes me wonder if the amp really is 1200w RMS

I mean there are tons of videos of taramps doing what they say and a lot of people on this forum recommend them. This is my first post but long time lurker lol Yeah see that is what i thought. Alright thanks for the advice. I kinda figured that 4 awg would be the best route either way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.