Recommended amplified sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Piggy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Israel
Hello,

would like to get a recommendation for an good and not expensive amplified sub for my car and that I’ll be able to connect also the speakers

Front speakers: Focal RSE-165
Back speakers: Hertz DSK 165.3 only the woofers are connected without the tweeters and without crossover (I bought it to use it as front speakers and I didn’t like the sound so I installed them in the back and bought the focal instead)

Thanks.

Do you want to connect the main speakers to the amplified sub? I do not think such a product exists but who knows? If that is the case, you would be better off with a 5 channel amp, and a separate sub.

Can i connect a 65watts rms amp to 80w rms speaker?
i want to buy an amp that give 65w rms for 4 ohms (Front Focal's are good for it but what about the Hertz's?)

Underpowering the speakers is perfectly safe, but may not give desired level of output. Also note that if you are buying a cheap off brand amp it may not actually produce the power it is claiming. Running the hertz woofers without any form of crossovers is a bad idea. You are sending high frequencies that the speaker isn't designed to reproduce, once amplification is added you may end up having a bad time. Also note that there's nothing wrong with those hertz speakers, it just sounds like you don't prefer their sound profile. This can be corrected with an active crossover, as you can make the speaker sound however you want. May be an option worth considering.

If you prefer running passive, at least use the crossovers, those aren't only meant for the tweeter. It isn't like a coax where the crossover is built into the speaker itself with capacitors, you have to use the seperate crossover to make sure appropriate frequencies are sent to the speakers.

Yes you can.

You can mix and match brands as long as they are along the same power range and Ohms rating..

Got it, thank you!

Underpowering the speakers is perfectly safe, but may not give desired level of output. Also note that if you are buying a cheap off brand amp it may not actually produce the power it is claiming. Running the hertz woofers without any form of crossovers is a bad idea. You are sending high frequencies that the speaker isn't designed to reproduce, once amplification is added you may end up having a bad time. Also note that there's nothing wrong with those hertz speakers, it just sounds like you don't prefer their sound profile. This can be corrected with an active crossover, as you can make the speaker sound however you want. May be an option worth considering.

If you prefer running passive, at least use the crossovers, those aren't only meant for the tweeter. It isn't like a coax where the crossover is built into the speaker itself with capacitors, you have to use the seperate crossover to make sure appropriate frequencies are sent to the speakers.

Great answer, thank you a lot, I will install back the crossover.

Didn’t hear about active crossover, do I have to use it with an amp or can I install it without one?

The Hertz are strong, I just didn’t like the sound quality of it, the focal sounds better for me, maybe as you say the active crossover will add something (also thinking about installing it just for the front speakers [Focal])

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...