Recommend sub size based on application

perferd
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
windsor
Recommend a sub size for me base on this please...

02 Dodge Durango behind third row seat measurements are approximately "UP TO" 23" long by 17" tall by 18" bottom depth by 15" top depth...

DEH-80PRS

ARC KS-300.4

ARC Series 6.2

I want a ported box that hits deep hard clean and sounds good. I don't care how big or small sub is as long as it doesn't go past my measurements given. I am hoping for just 1 sub to cut costs but I would say up to $750 budget for amp and sub.

Thanks

Oh and sub would be SA-8,10,12 or SSA Gcon 10,12 based on sub recommendations...

If u are running active with that 80prs you should be able to get your highs plenty loud enough to blend with a good 12 or two 8s for that space a pair of tens sealed would be nice too but idk if you are looking for output or just nice bass

the 8's bass will be a bit tighter than the 12 ,the 12 should get deeper ,should be close to the same cone area tho.the 8's will take a smaller box tho

Based on the recommendations I've been getting for asking a similar question, the SSA 12 sealed would be a good bet. If you can get 750W to it, the Dayton HO is supposed to be the clear winner. A DVC 4ohm is just a hair over 150 last I checked and those things are supposed to play extremely well in tiny boxes.

the 8's bass will be a bit tighter than the 12 ,the 12 should get deeper ,should be close to the same cone area tho.the 8's will take a smaller box tho
One of the biggest myths about woofers is that 8's and 10's are "tighter" and "cleaner" than 15's or 18's. Nothing is further from the truth. What tends to happen is that the smaller drivers have lower Q's because manufactures tend to put large cones on smaller motors to increase SPL and sensitivity but not BL product. Well unless the motor can compensate for the extra mass it has to push, then the Qts will not be the same as the smaller drivers and ultimately the driver may not be suited for the same kinds of alignments and could ring too much and compromise the perceived sound quality. Having said that, high Qts drivers are not any less "tight" or "musical" than well dampened drivers, it's just they require larger boxes and less internal pressure to prevent ringing. Ultimately there becomes a point where a driver really should be used in an infinite baffle where its actual Qts and Fs becomes the system Qtc and Fc. As enclosure volume decreases, Qtc increases and it will take a driver with a low Qts to make for an average Q system. So in conclusion, the only reason to use a smaller bass driver is for space, weight and potentially power considerations, but likewise, it is inappropriate to try and fit a larger driver into a space smaller than it is ideal for.

you have roughly 2.3 cubic feet to work, depending on your tune, and I would suggest a single 12. For an amp AQ1200D Amplifier

For your sub ICON 12 Sound Solutions Audio 12" 1250W ICON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE

Should slam the lows while being easy on your stock electrical and have money left over for your box.
I have my eye on the AQ along mmats American bass vfl Boston gta alpine mrx ppi phantom...

As for the sub that seems like a lot of power needed. Oh and my electrical had 160 amp alt, big 3, but stock batt right now...

I have a new Alpine Type R 12 I think would work well for you. I have it for sale on here for $125 + ship.
Appreciate it bit no thanks brotha...

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

How about an Obsidian 15?
That seems way too big...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.