Rear end humming noise.

Terranova
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CA
I have this really loud and annoying "humming" like noise coming from the rear of my pickup and I don't know what it could be. I took it to the mechanic not to long ago and they said that my rear differential was doing something weird but I'm not sure if this could be it. Here is a video clip of it, at 70 mph the noise basically goes away but when I get to 65 and below it's very noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VelnszPllyc

if it the gears lots of times the gears get worn out when the bearing are toast so it can get pricey. if he said its the bearing in there don't put it off or it will get 4-500 bucks more expensive. I would check the u joints first it is hard to tell just from a video and trying to hear it.

oil won't help if it is worn out. how many miles on it? if you change that oil in time when recommended they last a while just as long as it is the right type if its a 4 wheel drive with a locking/limited slip. I do not know this hardcore oil as you call it must just be a brand name i never heard of. I would check the u joints and if they are good then check for play in the rear end and check the gears. If the gears are worn you will feel a sharp edge on the edge of them hard to describe but if you know what you are looking for easy to see. if it is ****ered up fix it now or new gears will certainly have to be bought making it very pricey.

idk about it going away at different speeds but my sister and gma both had a noise from the rear.. it was the wheel bearing nice chunk of change to fix.. it sounds like a droning noise.. almost like a drier..

well i'm modding my truck so i already plan on getting either 3.90 gears or 4.10 havent decided yet. ill take it back and see what i can learn. thanks for the input

Is your truck lifted? I have a 2.5" lift and go through u-joints about once a year. I couldnt tell from your vid, but seeings how they are around $25 each I would start there.

1 or 2 piece drive shaft? If it is a 2 piece, it could be the center bearing on the drive shaft. Or like others said pinion, axle bearings. Gears dont wear that often unless they are ran dry, or beat on severely.

1 or 2 piece drive shaft? If it is a 2 piece, it could be the center bearing on the drive shaft. Or like others said pinion, axle bearings. Gears dont wear that often unless they are ran dry, or beat on severely.
when you lift a vehicle it changes the pinion angle and causes them to were out out much faster due to the torque angle being forced more to one position.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.