rear deck rattling.. blown speakers ???

tintgirl
10+ year member

with any type of extended bass note my rear deck rattles, i have the factory speakers in my 97 civic coupe back there. is that how speakers sound when theyre blown? or does this sound like i need to put padding or somthing under the plastic interior deck lid?

i do want to upgrade speakers possibly but if my factory speakers are causing rattling at 8 watts. then i can only image 75 watts bumpin back there.

no i dont push them hard at all. they sound alright, i just hear the annoying vibration of the plastic on bass notes,, im just asking here before i investigate. because to get to the rear speakers in a civic is going to be a full day project,

Well they are pretty old. Are you original owner of the car? If not, never know how somebody else cranked them. Sounds to me if they are all of sudden rattling, in most cases they are starting to go or are blown. Does it sound like a pop?

are the speakers covered by the deck or speaker covers? if it is just speaker covers then its like 4 bolts on the inside of the trunk

yes it is a civic, and i already have the guide to take out the speakers, i have to remove all the panels, and my rear seats, and unbolt everyhing, should be FUN!... doesnt sound like a pop... im guessing its the rear deck plastic, i guess i'll stuff some t shirts back there or somthing... should i even bother installing aftermarket 6x9's? i heard i should just keep stock speakers for rear fill?? and just focus on front stage

why would u have to take out your seats to do a speaker upgrade- that sounds rediculous- if the rear speakers are bothering you then go ahead and replace them with something- its not like u dont hear sound coming from behind you at all.

I would suggest that you just remove those rear speakers and focus on the front stage. If you have a sub in the trunk, then the 6x9"s would probably distort from the force of the sub anyways. A strong front stage is all you need. The funds that would've been wasted on rears can be put into getting really nice speakers for the front.

Depending on the car, sometimes it necessary to remove the rear seats in order to remove the rear deck speakers.

For my 96' camry, i need to remove my rear seats and the two side pads.

turn on system and make the noise. Go back there and listen. Start pushing on things until the rattle stops, or put your ear near the speaker. If its the speaker distorting enough to make that kind of noise you'll clearly hear it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.