RE Audio RE Series 6.5 Components

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ledoux289
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I bought a set of the RE Series components and just got them installed Sunday. Today on my drive home from work I think I blew the tweeter out on the right side of the car. Should a tweeter be the first thing to go? I was worried about setting things up right. I sent power to the crossover and then wired the tweeter and woofers up. With that setup was the woofer and the tweeter getting the exact same amount of power? I figured the crossover would be some how stopping the tweeter from receiving as much power as the woofer since then don't need alot of power. I was probably running around 75 watts to the right side. If I blew the tweeter does anyone have a suggestion on a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

-Dillon

A crossover is capable of sending the full 75 watts to either the midrange driver or the tweeter. However, you'll never realistically be sending a full 75 watts to the tweeter on music.

I'm not sure why you blew them, but I would guess you did because of your equalization settings or improper gain setting. I can't stress how important it is to keep loudness off and leave the equalizer relatively flat. The RE tweets aren't anything particularly special, so replacements shouldn't be too hard to find. I haven't tried pairing my RE comps with any other tweets, but I would guess that you could pair them quite well with the tweeters from a PG RSD or entry-level Pioneer component set.

As far as my eq goes I dropped the treble to -2 on my iDA-X200 and the mid and bass are at a flat 0. My amp is an SPA150.4. I have the gain up almost half way. After doing some research it appears that RE tweeters seem to not last very long. I've seen several threads now where people are blowing them left and right. I guess I'll look into pairing up another set of tweets with the woofers. Thanks for the input.

As far as my eq goes I dropped the treble to -2 on my iDA-X200 and the mid and bass are at a flat 0. My amp is an SPA150.4. I have the gain up almost half way. After doing some research it appears that RE tweeters seem to not last very long. I've seen several threads now where people are blowing them left and right. I guess I'll look into pairing up another set of tweets with the woofers. Thanks for the input.
I don't know about that. I have clean power from my US Amps MD42 going to my set and it loves it. Hope I don't end up making the same thread as this one though.

Good luck with them brother. Mine started off a little harsh so I turned the treble down some and then I thought they sounded pretty good and then poof, no more sound.

Anyone who blows RE tweets didn't set them up properly. How did you set your gains? Setting them correctly is the key to making sure they have a long life. I set my gains to 100 wRMS per side for my RE Comps. But they sounded like they could take more, so I upped it to 150. I've had them that way for a year and a half. Never blown them, even at full volume.

Just keep this in mind when you get your new tweeters - otherwise you'll just end up doing the same thing over again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.