quik mono amp question

stangpounder
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wi
im going to try and keep this simple. i will be running my subs paralelle to my mono amp. the amp has 2 pos. and nags. on it. will it be ok to have a wire coming outta both the pos on the amp a solder them to all the wires coming from the pos. coils. and then the same for the nags.

UMMMM...2 postives and negatives coming out of the amp? Are you sure it is mono?

However I guess it may be possible to have 2 sets of positives and negatives(for the same channel), If you are certain it is mono, then I wouldn't see why you couldn't link them together, but only try that if you are 100% sure both sets are the same exact channel. It may be a 2 channel amplifier capable of running mono(which is bridging it). in that case you would NOT want to link the 2 amp channels in that same fashion, you would take one of the channels positive outputs, and then one of the channles negative outputs....leaving the remaining 2 untouched. The amp should show which outputs to use for running mono(bridging). What amp is it? model number and make would help out more.

Running the Subs parrallel be sure to check out the wiring diagram, on this forum here is the link. voicecoil wiring diagram You want to make sure your amplifier is Stable to run the subwoofers in parrallel. That will draw more from your amp, some amps shut down if the Load(Ohm) goes to low

I have a similar situation, and am wondering the same thing.

The amp I'm planning on using is the MTX Thunder 421D. http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/thunder421D.cfm

If you click on the picture on the above page, you'll get a larger image in which you can clearly see the three posts for power/ground/remote, and to the right of that, two pairs of speaker posts. (Right side of the image.)

I've been told that these four posts are paralleled for ease of wiring when wiring two subs/voicecoils for a 2-ohm load.

My problem is a matter of appearance, though. I'm going to run a single DVC sub off this amp. Normally, you would want to run four wires for this. I want to run a single pair, however, and wire a "jumper" across the speaker terminals at the speaker to get the 2-ohm load.

However, for appearance, I want to use all four posts on the amp. (I just the the wiring will look better if all connections have a wire in them, even if the wire is not necessary.)

So, what I'm thinking now is to put two pairs on the amp posts, then solder the positives together and the negatives together several inches down the wire, where they'll be out of sight. Then run the resulting single pair to the sub, where it will be wired directly to one set of posts on the speaker, then "jumpered" in parallel to the other set to get the 4-ohm load.

I don't see any problems with doing this for cosmetic purposes if, like you said, it's really a mono amp with two sets of posts. But it's been a long time since my days of doing complicated electrical diagrams, so I can't be sure I'm not missing something, here.

Maybe it'd be simpler for me to just run the sub off a single set of posts on the amp, and put a pair of disconnected dummy wires on the other two posts. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wacky.gif.cf4a48f9e6dfe9504ffd2c946fd2f340.gif

actully i thought all class amps where mono and had only 1 channel. But i clearly see that there is 2 channels. But u kno MTX. I would say read the manual.

A LOT of mono amps have dual speaker outputs - possibly the majority of them. Grim's right, they're just there to make it easier for users that plan to run 2 or 4 or 8 different speaker leads.

And grim - if you really want to use both terminals why don't you just run a pair to each vc? Wouldn't that be the easiest?

A LOT of mono amps have dual speaker outputs - possibly the majority of them. Grim's right, they're just there to make it easier for users that plan to run 2 or 4 or 8 different speaker leads.
And grim - if you really want to use both terminals why don't you just run a pair to each vc? Wouldn't that be the easiest?
Right now I'm planning on putting a plexi window in the sub enclosure, and I just think that one speaker pair will be easier to keep clean than two pairs.

Also, the amp rack and sub enclosure are going to be separate boxes, and I'm going to put terminals on both so that everything can be dismantled relatively quickly and removed from the truck. Having 4 posts to connect between the two will increase the risk of plugging something into the wrong place, and possibly blowing up all sorts of stuff.

I think I'm just going to go with the dummy wire option.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.