Quick recommendation on 2 ch amp for my fronts

slm9s

WA state
I'm finishing up my sub/amp upgrade to my GTO and was thinking why not upgrade the amp for the fronts as well. Mostly because its OLD and has several paint chips/looks like crap. Its a Kenwood KAC728S that I got off CL several years ago used in fair shape for $35.

Anyway, besides my sub the only other speakers I have Infiniti Kappa component fronts. I think they are 75 or 100 watt. I am looking at 2 ch amps to power these. I hope I can find decent quality for around $100. Here's what I was considering so far.

Zapco ST-2B

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8O4DXJ/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2972357942&pd_rd_wg=Jb9Hg&pf_rd_r=QSQTPY7MF9YS923RA10H&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01M8O4DXJ&pd_rd_w=7EEeA&pf_rd_i=zapco+amp&pd_rd_r=V4B1RT698YECD4ADB5F1&ie=UTF8&qid=1497907861&sr=1

PPI i320.2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMC5022/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Soundstream PA4-1000 - I would bridge it for 2 channels

https://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-PA4-1000-Picasso-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B01B9KH6L0/ref=pd_sbs_107_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01B9KH6L0&pd_rd_r=WE3C7E97D3M207E70Y61&pd_rd_w=f6pMI&pd_rd_wg=cS5ok&psc=1&refRID=WE3C7E97D3M207E70Y61

Another Soundstream

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXXK3FU/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last Soundstream

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR9RVH4/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The Zapco is rated at less power than the others, but I assume is higher quality - would that be a better choice?

What would you guys do? Any favorite $100 2 channel amps? Is that $64 Soundstream just as good as the others? Or I can go up to $150 if you think it'll make a big difference.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look into a PPI P600.2 or a p900.4 .... great little amps ...
yeah i told him the 600.2 and i told him he could get 4 channel and bridge it.. the 600.2 maybe to much power for his 75-90rms comps idk, the 4 channel maybe best option just cause seem like more around find a 40x4 bridged get like 120x2 be good.. or the ppi 900.4 and either just use 2 channels or power rears to 145x4 should be good turn gain down..

yeah i told him the 600.2 and i told him he could get 4 channel and bridge it.. the 600.2 maybe to much power for his 75-90rms comps idk, the 4 channel maybe best option just cause seem like more around find a 40x4 bridged get like 120x2 be good.. or the ppi 900.4 and either just use 2 channels or power rears to 145x4 should be good turn gain down..
No such thing as too much power imo. Had a Lrx 2.9 on tweeter duty but it had an unmatched pre-amp section. I'll be using a mosconi zero.3 soon.

Any other opinions?
Amps can sound very different from each other even if the specs are similar. Also, everyone has different priorities and tastes, so you may like one amp, and I may prefer a different one. If you are looking for the most power you can get at the cheapest price, go with a class D amp. If you're more of a sound quality person, and high volume isn't your only concern, a class AB would probably be a better choice. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting this is the right way to go for everyone. There will always be some exceptions.

For me personally, I would only use AB for everything except subs. I don't think class D is quite there yet. Another Kenwood would be a good choice. A while back, I had amps by PPI, Phoenix Gold, Orion and Soundstream. At the time, they were considered to be high end choices. I don't know if that's still true. Maybe some of the other posters that have some experience with the newer models can give us their opinions.

Amps can sound very different from each other even if the specs are similar. Also, everyone has different priorities and tastes, so you may like one amp, and I may prefer a different one. If you are looking for the most power you can get at the cheapest price, go with a class D amp. If you're more of a sound quality person, and high volume isn't your only concern, a class AB would probably be a better choice. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting this is the right way to go for everyone. There will always be some exceptions.
For me personally, I would only use AB for everything except subs. I don't think class D is quite there yet. Another Kenwood would be a good choice. A while back, I had amps by PPI, Phoenix Gold, Orion and Soundstream. At the time, they were considered to be high end choices. I don't know if that's still true. Maybe some of the other posters that have some experience with the newer models can give us their opinions.
you are using outdated statements and info. Top dawgs in the SQ competition world use class D amps for their front stage.

Even legendary amp maker Zed audio exclusively uses class D topology now. Helix, zapco and audison are all swapping over to class D on their newer amps as well. The whole mids and highs paradigm is shifting towards class D just like subwoofers are shifting over to full fail design with brazilians over korean built amps.

Cheap class Ds will sound bad but high end class Ds will sound just like any other zapco or linear power highest end A/B amps as long as you dont overdrive it to clipping.

you are using outdated statements and info. Top dawgs in the SQ competition world use class D amps for their front stage.
Even legendary amp maker Zed audio exclusively uses class D topology now. Helix, zapco and audison are all swapping over to class D on their newer amps as well. The whole mids and highs paradigm is shifting towards class D just like subwoofers are shifting over to full fail design with brazilians over korean built amps.

Cheap class Ds will sound bad but high end class Ds will sound just like any other zapco or linear power highest end A/B amps as long as you dont overdrive it to clipping.
Calling linear power amps high end made your credibility fly out the window... sorry.

Would you care to place a wager on your class D statement?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.