Quick EQ question

Clarion or Cadence

• Total voters
Can someone tell me the advantages of 12" subs over 10"? I'm planning to purchase a hifonics brz1700 and

it could power the two 3rd gen, 4ohm type r 12's @ 1ohm, 1000 rms for the subs and 1700 from the amp

OR

it could power the two 4th gen, 2ohm type r 10's @ 2ohm, 1200 rms for the subs and 1200 from the amp

My current voltage reading is 12.1 to 12.6ish....and i'm thinking the first option and overcompensate the 12's instead of perfecting matching the 10s

what do you guys think? and please tell me how much it would approximately cost to do the big 3 in 1/0 gauge wire...and upgrade all the speaker/power wire for the speakers/amps/head unit to 1/0 gauge

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cadence's eq frequencies are 10 to 50,000 Hz while the Clarion is 50 to 16,000 HZ. The Cadence has a full built in crossover while the Clarion has a low pass built in crossover. The Cadence has a line driver while the Clarion doesn't, and the Cadence's total harmonic distortion is 0.05% and Clarion's is 0.005%.
Based on these specs, does this make Cadence a better eq (except for the total harmonic distortion)?
Output signal voltage over 2-3 volts is a waste. If you have an induced noise problem that is still audible over 2-3 volts of signal strength, then you have a large enough noise problem that it needs to be addressed directly (and should be easy to locate/correct), not just try to mask more of it by getting a hotter signal. So dont lose any sleep over an 8v output versus a 9v output.

Your ears will never detect THD differences between .05% and .005%, dont even give that spec difference a second thought.

P.S. This may sound really dumb but I can add an aftermarket EQ to my aftermarket head unit, yes? My aftermarket head unit, jensen uv10, has a 3 band eq so someone please explain to me how the installation works and what I need in addition. (Think I need RCA cables or something like that)
Yes, you will need RCA cables. Also, you will need external amplifiers, since the built-in amplifier in the h/u will not be affected by an outboard EQ.

Can someone tell me the advantages of 12" subs over 10"? I'm planning to purchase a hifonics brz1700 and
it could power the two 3rd gen, 4ohm type r 12's @ 1ohm, 1000 rms for the subs and 1700 from the amp

OR

it could power the two 4th gen, 2ohm type r 10's @ 2ohm, 1200 rms for the subs and 1200 from the amp

My current voltage reading is 12.1 to 12.6ish....and i'm thinking the first option and overcompensate the 12's instead of perfecting matching the 10s

what do you guys think? and please tell me how much it would approximately cost to do the big 3 in 1/0 gauge wire...and upgrade all the speaker/power wire for the speakers/amps/head unit to 1/0 gauge
The advantages of a 12" sub over a 10" sub is more cone area, for greater air displacement potential. This may seem like a vague answer, but any other more specific answer, like lower fs, is a generalized statement that will not be true in all situations.

Class a/b amplifiers usually have maximum output at 4ohms (mono), while most class d amplifiers generally have peak output at 1ohm (mono). So yes, a dual 2ohm sub has the advantage of being able to wire to either 4ohms or 1ohm (mono).

If you are only getting 12.1-12.6 volts to your amplifier(s) while the engine is running, you have a severe resistance problem in the power supply circuit to that amplifier, and it should be addressed immediately.

did you mean 4ohm dvc able to run at 1ohm or 4ohm?

what's the best course of action for this resistance problem? big 3, redo speaker/power wiring, and new battery? don't feel like getting a h/o alternator

my stereo installer told me that an eq would be a waste...it would bring out the engine noise. is that true? he says the eq on the HU itself is better. idk what to believe

did you mean 4ohm dvc able to run at 1ohm or 4ohm?
what's the best course of action for this resistance problem? big 3, redo speaker/power wiring, and new battery? don't feel like getting a h/o alternator
Ive forgotten now what your sub setup is, multiple subs or just one. The easiest way to remember voice coil wiring is just to realize that when you parallel or series coils together, they either halve their impedance, or double it. Two 4ohm coils wired together will either be 2ohms mono, or 8ohms mono. So two dvc 4ohm subs could have the coils of each sub wired together to make 2ohms mono, then wire each sub together to either 1ohm or 4ohm mono.

Yes, the excess resistance is probably in your wiring. Do the big 3, and make sure your power/ground wires to the amplifier are of sufficient size.

my stereo installer told me that an eq would be a waste...it would bring out the engine noise. is that true? he says the eq on the HU itself is better. idk what to believe
Your installer is incorrect. Its true that any component added *might* have a grounding noise issue that could introduce 'alternator whine' into the stereo, but there is no reason to assume an EQ specifically would do this. Especially if your installer is competent enough to avoid a ground loop problem. Your installer sounds a little inexperienced to me.

External EQ's tend to have more capabilities than a built-in EQ in a deck, and are usually superior them.

He's actually really experienced. I think he misunderstood me because my number priority is more bass so he thought it'd be useless. he didn't really think about my real intentions of getting an eq.

yeah ima get the clarion...it's gonna fill up my dash kit and gonna look awesome too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...