installing subs into a ported - quick question!

JaeCole
10+ year member

I want to switch my sealed box to a ported box.

Do I need to disconnect the car's battery while doing this?

When you wire the sub into the enclosure, do you need to solder it? Or does it clamp down/simply connect like the terminals outside the box? Please explain this step clearly, I don't want to mess anything up.

Or is this even worth it? Couple of people say it's nice in ported boxes, even though the manufacture recommends sealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it depends on the ported box that you get as far as how to wire it, but the sub will most likely need to be soldered.

You dont need to disconnect the battery, just make sure the car and stereo are off before disconnecting the sub from the amp

Well it depends on the ported box that you get as far as how to wire it, but the sub will most likely need to be soldered.
You dont need to disconnect the battery, just make sure the car and stereo are off before disconnecting the sub from the amp

any soldering gun is fine or does its watts matter?

are you all high? Only time I have ever used a soldering iron on a speaker is when I'm reconing a sub.
oh, and remove the fact that you have a capicitor in your sig. It just makes you look like a retard.
That's what YOU think. I think there's nothing wrong with saying I got a cap so it's all good with me.

If he wants a cap, so be it. I had one at one time too. Gotta learn by doing.

And yes, no soldering will be required. I like to run my wires through the box and just use silicone to seal it, but some run bolts through the box and tighten them down with nuts on both sides of the box. You may even already have a speaker terminal that you just tighten the wire down with.

Caps are pretty much useless. Only reason why company's sell them is because they mislead the public into thinking that they really work. Which in fact what they do is so minimal that it really doesn't matter if it's there or not
So be it. Who cares what's in my sig? Worry about yours.

If he wants a cap, so be it. I had one at one time too. Gotta learn by doing.
And yes, no soldering will be required. I like to run my wires through the box and just use silicone to seal it, but some run bolts through the box and tighten them down with nuts on both sides of the box. You may even already have a speaker terminal that you just tighten the wire down with.
There are speaker terminals...i know you tighten the wire down outside but is that the case for the inside too? i'm a beginner as you guys can obviously tell so please be patient. i'm being careful as possible before i mess anything up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.