Questions about replacing speakers - Toyota Venza

Participant count
  • Participant list

Devin Hieb

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I have a 2009 Toyota Venza with JBL speakers (I think they are just the front though). Recently, the rear speakers blew out and I am trying to get new ones in. 

I am debating between paying a shop to do it or saving some money and doing it myself. The problem is, I have talked to a couple of places and received conflicting info regarding what kind of speakers I need. 

The back doors are component, so there is a 6.5" at the bottom and a tweeter near the armrest/handle. I have been told that I need to install component at one place and another said I could install component or coaxial. Trying to figure out what's the truth here. 

Next question is - should I be shopping for a 2ohm, 3ohm, or 4ohm speaker? The place I was just at told me that if I install a 4ohm they will have to do an amp bypass? But that I could install a 2ohm or 3ohm by myself and it would be fine without the bypass. Again - not sure if this info is correct. I don't know what the amp situation is like in my car, all I know is I have the JBL speaker package. 

There are some good deals on speakers online currently, so trying to take advantage of those today/tomorrow if possible.

tl:dr -
1. Currently have component rear door speakers. Do I need to stick with component or can I go coaxial?
2. What ohm rating speaker should I get if I go DIY. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.