question for sub builders out there.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mile-hi-audio

How does a basket design affect a subwoofers response? For example is a 6 spoke basket louder then a 12 spoke? What about design baskets such as the Memphis mojos.

Basically what I want to know is why people go with different baskets. Not really interested in hearing about ti/tc baskets, I'm more interested in the standard baskets. Thanks

The reason I'm asking is because I bought a motor from Chris Fish (world record holder) and he told me that he used 12 spoke baskets because they were louder then the original (Memphis mojo) basket.

Ppl use different basket because different ones have different bolt patterns holes and some have different size spider landings and some are stronger then others..

I have never heard of a basket being louder then another

Well it's Chris fish, so I believe he used many different subs. I asked him why he used the 12 spoke and he didn't get too much in depth, he just told me the 12 spoke was louder. I've built over 100 subs with all various baskets but haven't gave much thought to the basket thing till now.

It's possible to see a few tenths difference in baskets due to air flow around the spokes. I wouldn't worry about this in anything but top level SPL competition.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.