Question about planning

Participant count
  • Participants list

Troylang

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have recently installed kicker coaxial front and rear speakers and am not happy so am going to install infinity components and new receiver and amp. So from what I understand I put the crossoverver between speakers and amp .now what I am confused about is what type of amp and what speakers to boost. I see most people going 4 channel to the front 6.5 s and tweeters . Why the tweeters ? They dont take mich wattage to begin with . Why not go with the rear deck speakers and front? Also I'm wondering what would be best option for the rears component or coaxial. It seems I see most peeps leaving the rear coaxil

You are referring to active crossovers when running tweeters on separate channels. It’s for people who want more control and fine tuning from their speakers. No need to bother with that if you want to keep it simple. Whatever you choose to do, get a 4 ch amp that does at least 100 watts x 4 and spend more money on your fronts than your rears. So in your case, components in the front and coaxials in the back for rear fill to accent the fronts. Or skip the rears completely. That’s up to you. Also note that to make any aftermarket speakers sound good or decent, you’re going to need to add sound treatment to your doors. Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

I've heard Kicker co-axials and they can sound good. I've been down this road in the past and found that if I put a pretty basic system in to begin with, I'd be happier later on down the road.

If I were in your shoes:

I would use an aftermarket receiver with front/rear and subwoofer RCA outputs and built in high and low pass crossovers, EQ and possibly other sound shaping features (like time alignment), image or sound stage adjustments.

Find a decent 5 channel amp.

Run the front speakers on the front 2 amp channels. Set the receiver highpass crossover at 80 hertz. You can run coaxial speakers mounted in your stock locations or run a component set by installing the mid driver in the stock location and the tweeter in a suitable location. Most component sets come with passive crossovers so all you would need to do is run an amp channel to the left mid/tweeter pair and the right amp channel to the left mid/tweeter pair. The passive crossover will properly filter the correct frequencies to each speaker. You can tinker with the receiver's highpass crossover setting to achieve the best performance out of your coaxial or component speakers.

Run the rear speakers on the rear amp channels. Run the same 80 hertz high pass setting on the crossover. If you choose not to run a subwoofer, you can run the rear speakers full range or, with no crossover. This will allow them to produce some low frequencies.

Adjust the front/rear fader on the receiver to your preference. (most folks allow the front speakers to provide most of the sound while allow the rear speakers to blend into the the sound at a lower volume level...(fade the sound more to the front speakers).

I would then run a small subwoofer off of the amp's woofer channel. Set the receiver's subwoofer lowpass crossover setting to around 80 hertz.

This system would allow you to enjoy a nice audio experience and would allow you to later upgrade your speakers while retaining the receiver and amp.

I have recently installed kicker coaxial front and rear speakers and am not happy so am going to install infinity components and new receiver and amp. So from what I understand I put the crossoverver between speakers and amp .now what I am confused about is what type of amp and what speakers to boost. I see most people going 4 channel to the front 6.5 s and tweeters . Why the tweeters ? They dont take mich wattage to begin with . Why not go with the rear deck speakers and front? Also I'm wondering what would be best option for the rears component or coaxial. It seems I see most peeps leaving the rear coaxil
Rear soundstage isn’t worth spending new money on. If you have coaxials and want a new Comp set (infinity reference series are pretty good budget comps). A cllean 4 channels like a gmd8704 will be plenty of clean power for $120. Active setup gives better control....if you buy the right tweeters and mid drivers, Somewhat treat your door, set the correct crossover points and filters correct, and set amp gains right you can feed tweeters a good amount of power. Signal is king though so if you got a shitty source nothing is going to sound good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.