PWX 6.5 Installation Help

Participant count
  • Participant list
Im running active, using a Soundstream Harmony DSP/EQ, so not using the passive crossovers that cam with them...
but yes, if you are going to use the supplied crossovers, run each one on its own inline crossover and bridge them at the amp, 2 per channel... if you were to run 2 tweeters on one crossover it would change the crossover freq...
Alright cool man thanks!

Im running active, using a Soundstream Harmony DSP/EQ, so not using the passive crossovers that cam with them...
but yes, if you are going to use the supplied crossovers, run each one on its own inline crossover and bridge them at the amp, 2 per channel... if you were to run 2 tweeters on one crossover it would change the crossover freq...
So what you are saying is wire 2 together per channel on my 2chan each on its own crossover, correct? The another question i have is, running my pwx's 1 per channel on my 4 chan, how do I set it up so it plays the frequencies it is supposed to play and not what i want my tweets to play?

Yes on the tweeters.... And you'll need an amp with a bandpass capable crossover for PWX's... something like a PPI 900.4. Or you will need an external crossover somewhere before the amp...

Yes on the tweeters.... And you'll need an amp with a bandpass capable crossover for PWX's... something like a PPI 900.4. Or you will need an external crossover somewhere before the amp...
My 4 channel is a RF r400-4d. I believe its capable but i could be mistaken. Would you mind checking it out? Greatly appreciated

I really want to keep and use the amps I have, and i just saw that ap is the exact opposite of bandpass filter...so now im thinking that i need to go active unless theres a different way? Since every speaker is on its ownn channel active should be easier and the better choice vs. 4 passives one per channel lmao. Only problem now is, since ill be running my front and rear rca's to my 4 chan then a short rca from its passthrough output to my 2 channels input (RF said the passthrough is from the front channels), wouldnt putting the xover between my headunit and 4 chan and setting it up to only produce the frequencies i want the pwx's to play, wouldnt that then not send any higher frequencies to my 2 channel? F*ck man when it comes to the mids/highs i get so lost.. Or will this work? (See picture), that way my 2 chan will still get its needed frequencies, then the crossover will work its magic for my 4 chan. In my head that will work, i dont see a reason why it wouldn't.

View attachment 26550370

Unfortunately, you are going to need some sort of crossover to go active and use the amps you have since they dont have a BP setting for the mids...

your pic should work, if you are using the 2 channels HP filter for the tweeters (or use the AP setting and use the passive crossovers that came with the RTS's) then you will need a crossover that has a BP setting (Lanzar has an inexpensive one, ~$40). You dont really need to run through the 2 channel though, the 4 channel has a 2-4 ch input switch, just set it to 2 ch input and run the rear output from your deck to the crossover, then to the amp, it will still output on all 4 channels ...

Since your headunit only has 4 outputs, Im assuming it doesnt have the crossover capability to run the PWX's, but what headunit? and I'll look it up to see if there is any other way...

Unfortunately, you are going to need some sort of crossover to go active and use the amps you have since they dont have a BP setting for the mids...
your pic should work, if you are using the 2 channels HP filter for the tweeters (or use the AP setting and use the passive crossovers that came with the RTS's) then you will need a crossover that has a BP setting (Lanzar has an inexpensive one, ~$40). You dont really need to run through the 2 channel though, the 4 channel has a 2-4 ch input switch, just set it to 2 ch input and run the rear output from your deck to the crossover, then to the amp, it will still output on all 4 channels ...

Since your headunit only has 4 outputs, Im assuming it doesnt have the crossover capability to run the PWX's, but what headunit? and I'll look it up to see if there is any other way...
Ill be using the included xovers for the rts's.

(Previous reply) thats how to do it to work without doing what i drew i think?

Setting the the HP on the amp AND running the passive crossover will have a negative effect on the tweeter... it will change the crossover points set by both and give you and indeterminable crossover freq. The amps HP filter can only be set as high as 250hz per the manual, so its pretty much useless in your case... I would set it to AP on the amp and let the passive RTS crossovers do their job.

As for the mids, as nice as the 4000NEX unit is (I actually am running the same headunit) it can't give you a crossover LP freq high enough (around 3.5khz or so to match up with RTS HP crossover point) to do a "poor man's" bandpass, so you will need an external crossover... Audiopipe makes an inexpensive one, as well as Lanzar (the x5 vibe, that Ive used in the past) and for a little more there is the Mclaren MLX-1000 that will give you 2 BP outputs if your system needs change down the road and you want to run a 3 way active front...

Once you put in an external crossover, I would just do all the crossover duties with it (tweeter, mids and subs..) just to make it all the from the same source... No passive crossovers (RTS's), set headunit to no filters (HPF, LPF off), set all amps to AP/Full and set the crossover appropriately...

Setting the the HP on the amp AND running the passive crossover will have a negative effect on the tweeter... it will change the crossover points set by both and give you and indeterminable crossover freq. The amps HP filter can only be set as high as 250hz per the manual, so its pretty much useless in your case... I would set it to AP on the amp and let the passive RTS crossovers do their job.
As for the mids, as nice as the 4000NEX unit is (I actually am running the same headunit) it can't give you a crossover LP freq high enough (around 3.5khz or so to match up with RTS HP crossover point) to do a "poor man's" bandpass, so you will need an external crossover... Audiopipe makes an inexpensive one, as well as Lanzar (the x5 vibe, that Ive used in the past) and for a little more there is the Mclaren MLX-1000 that will give you 2 BP outputs if your system needs change down the road and you want to run a 3 way active front...

Once you put in an external crossover, I would just do all the crossover duties with it (tweeter, mids and subs..) just to make it all the from the same source... No passive crossovers (RTS's), set headunit to no filters (HPF, LPF off), set all amps to AP/Full and set the crossover appropriately...
Ok makes sense so front and rear rca from unit to crossover, set my 4 channels switch to 2 channel then run the rear off the crossover to 4 channel and front off the crossover to my 2 channel. Set bandpass's accordingly and say **** you to the passives. Set amps crossover to ap on both. Is that correct? By the way i appreciate tou taking the time to help me on this haha

And turn off my radios filters and crossovers ^

No problem. Glad I can help... we all start somewhere, lol...

Looks like you got a good grasp of it. Dont forget to turn off any headunit HPF/LPF for the front and rear outputs, its fine to use the sub out directly from the headunit if you like (set the LPF for the sub out accordingly) or you can go through the external crossover just like the front/rear, as it will most likely have a sub in/out with LPF as well...

And remember, these are just crossover points for the output signals to the amps... you can still use the headunit EQ (which is really nice on the 4000NEX) to adjust levels of those freqs to blend them better if needed... (i.e. your tweets are over powering your mids, or vice versa...)

No problem. Glad I can help... we all start somewhere, lol...
Looks like you got a good grasp of it. Dont forget to turn off any headunit HPF/LPF for the front and rear outputs, its fine to use the sub out directly from the headunit if you like (set the LPF for the sub out accordingly) or you can go through the external crossover just like the front/rear, as it will most likely have a sub in/out with LPF as well...

And remember, these are just crossover points for the output signals to the amps... you can still use the headunit EQ (which is really nice on the 4000NEX) to adjust levels of those freqs to blend them better if needed... (i.e. your tweets are over powering your mids, or vice versa...)
Will the following work for what I need, XV-4XP - 3-Way Crossover

I think it will, and i might as well run my sub out through it too .. Is there something different I have to do now wen setting my gains with this installed? Is there a gain on it i need to set also? (I have my brothers dd1 so gains are easy to set). And lastly, the crossover i linked above, that can be wired the way we discussed previously?

Yup, thats the Audiopipe one I mentioned above. Ive never used that one personally, but it will do what you want it to....

There is a "gain" on each output normally, usually with a line driver type option... that one says its 8v max output. So with the dd1 it should work the same, set the gain on the crossover with the dd1 between the headunit and the crossover, then set the gain on the amp with the dd1 between the crossover and the amp....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.