Is my subwoofer blown?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Well today I noticed flapping coming from my right subwoofer. It still hits hard but when volume is up high their is this flapping noise like a paper hitting some air. I have 2 JBL gt5 10s. The box is closed but when I take the subwoofer out the box the flapping still continues. My amp is 425 watts while my speakers together are 550 is that the reason? Also when idle driving and volume up high my car battery gauge goes with the bass....

Really? You are telling him to buy stuff for 400 watts? Settings are messed up or ground is bad. You don't need to buy anything
Not necassarily true a big 3 kit may help I've had bad dimming on 500 watts before. Really depends on the car. And yes install Op how are your settings in your amp ? What exact amp ,subs & wiring are you using ? More info is really needed here. And pics of where your amps grounded at

I have a 2001 Firebird. and a JBL Grand Touring Series GTO601.1 II amp. I used a 8gauge wire. My lights don't dim it's just my battery meter that goes with bass when up high. my amp is grounded at one of my tie downs in the back. (paint was removed first)

Yea dude there is no gain control on my amp lol and boost is off.
Yes there is, its the knob that says INPUT LEVEL.

your amp has bass boost, input level and xover freq

keep bass boost all the way down. Use a Digital multi meter to set the gains properly. Sounds like you blew a sub. Take it out and push up on the cone to see if there's any damage in the suspension(spiders) Check the tinsel leads to see if any fried and lastly perform a free air test where you power up the woofer without an enclosure so you can see and pinpoint where the damage is located at. Also push down on the cone to see if there is any scratchy noise.

If it is none of the above, then its either your box has a air leak or your ground is bad like mylows10 said. Dont go wasting any money before taking proper precautions and testing.

on a side note, do you want sound quality or loudness with your setup?

The amp is from 2007 it is so old the numbers are starting to fade lol. So when my friend was setting the setting he was basing it off ear because yo can not see the numbers. EQ settings are not set high on my Head Unit, bass level is 0.

And this is my amp not the one i posted

JBL Grand Touring Series GTO755.6 II Like I said model number was faded.

The amp is from 2007 it is so old the numbers are starting to fade lol. So when my friend was setting the setting he was basing it off ear because yo can not see the numbers. EQ settings are not set high on my Head Unit, bass level is 0.And this is my amp not the one i posted

JBL Grand Touring Series GTO755.6 II Like I said model number was faded.
A quick google search and you would have avoided this incident lol.

x109GTO7556-o.jpeg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.