Putting together wiring for my first system. Could use some help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

htownrsx
10+ year member

Houston
Hey guys,

I'm currently putting together my first system, and I have some questions about the wiring. The system consists of a saz-1200 and 2 DVC sa8v2s.

What kind of wiring am I going to need to run this setup?

Am I better off buying a wiring kit?

OFC vs CCA, is there a big performance difference?

Thanks for the help.

CCA is the same physical size as OFC but with a fraction of the current handling capability.

just get a 1/0 OFC amp wiring kit (Knu or Streetwires)

kits give you all of the necessary terminations, fuse holder, etc.

CCA is the same physical size as OFC but with a fraction of the current handling capability.
just get a 1/0 OFC amp wiring kit (Knu or Streetwires)

kits give you all of the necessary terminations, fuse holder, etc.
I've been curious to hear what you prefer for RCAs. I haven't been too happy with my Knu Klarity and will be trying out the Krystal as well as AT's High Quality RCAs (not the top-tier).

Something like this?
0 GAUGE AMP POWER KIT

And what size fuse do I need?
Everyone's got a different answer for this. I say fuse to the wire's rating. Since the largest fuse in that kit is 300A, you should be fine with that.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Realistically, look at all the fuses on your amps and add them up. Fuse to about 10-20 percent over that.

I've been curious to hear what you prefer for RCAs. I haven't been too happy with my Knu Klarity and will be trying out the Krystal as well as AT's High Quality RCAs (not the top-tier).
i care more about construction than brand. i only want 2-piece headshells that I can disassemble and repair or re-terminate, if needed. i've had plenty of failures over the years, regardless of brand. space saving is also nice - the Streetwires Zero series, with short, small headshells seem to be my personal fav.

from there, a decent wire gauge, twisted and shielded (though shielding is only as good as the grounding method)

Something like this?
0 GAUGE AMP POWER KIT

And what size fuse do I need?
it will come with a fuse. as neo mentions, you can usually just size for the wire - something that won't pop unless there is a short in the wire. changing those fuses is a PITA. locating that fuse holder is also a PITA, i just did it in an Astro Van. worked out, but ****.

you will also need some extra 1/0 ground wire to do the Big 3 grounding. You can use 4 awg for the Big 3 if you keep factory wire in place (given your expected current draw). note that the Big 3 alt wire requires with another fuse holder - i've found getting a 4 awg amp wiring kit is good for that (silver wire is more universal - can be power or ground with some colored electrical tap for identification).

i care more about construction than brand. i only want 2-piece headshells that I can disassemble and repair or re-terminate, if needed. i've had plenty of failures over the years, regardless of brand. space saving is also nice - the Streetwires Zero series, with short, small headshells seem to be my personal fav.
from there, a decent wire gauge, twisted and shielded (though shielding is only as good as the grounding method)
How do you like to ground your RCAs?

shield should be connected to chassis on both ends (HU chassis and amplifier chassis). this connection is usually inherent in the equipment, so no extra work is required (ahem**Pioneer**) lack of a ground connection on either side can cause noise. this can happen inside the RCA - which is why i like a two-piece that i can open up and inspect connections. you can also use a DMM to measure continuity.

in some cases, grounding only one side (amplifier side) is beneficial. depends on how the HU outputs are configured.

for example:

on my older Alpines, i could have the RCA shields ungrounded at the HU and have no issues.

on my new Alpine that causes an assload of noise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.