Putting in an on/off switch for an amp??

Participant count
  • Participant list

kerbyjonsonjr

Maine
I am thinking about putting in a mono amp and a subwoofer and I was wondering if it i possible to hook up an on/off switch for the amp just in case I don't want a bass overload for some songs. I have looked around and I have seen some people mention but I am just wondering how exactly to do it. Could I just hook up the remote turn on from the lamp to the switch? I am thinking about getting a switch that lights up and I was wondering and it has 3 wires and I was wondering where I would connect them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

So I wouldn't have to connect the remote to my radio at all right? I could just go straight to the switch? Where could I connect the positive and ground?

So I wouldn't have to connect the remote to my radio at all right? I could just go straight to the switch? Where could I connect the positive and ground?
Theoretically no. Depending on if you want the light on when the car is off or if it's on you can either connect it to the radio's remote wire for it to turn off when the radio is off or just connect it to a constant 12volt source so it's lit with the car off and then when you flip it it give the amp the 12volt signal.

If you run you remote into the positive and then out to the amp, ground the negative to a screw or into the ground on your h/u. The switch will then only light when the car is on. The amp will only come on when the switch is turned on. If you do this make sure you buy a good switch, one that will stay secured to the dash or wherever you are mounting it. Cheap switches will not stay mounted!

If you run you remote into the positive and then out to the amp, ground the negative to a screw or into the ground on your h/u. The switch will then only light when the car is on. The amp will only come on when the switch is turned on. If you do this make sure you buy a good switch, one that will stay secured to the dash or wherever you are mounting it. Cheap switches will not stay mounted!
The switch I am looking at has 3 wires. I would post the link but it wont let me. I guess the extra one is specifically for the light. Where would I connect the third wire? Could I just join that together to the positive? Or should I connect to my cigarette lighter or something?

the third wire is the ground for the little light in the switch. make sure you don't have the remote wire backwards. basically, just hook the remote lead from the head unit into the (+) on the switch, and the remote to the amp on the other, or the light will not shut off with the switch....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.