Purchasing a new 4K Mono Block Amp

Yeah, I'm sure he'll be fine. Carry on.

While I do see your point, just because the amp can do 8k doesn't mean he is going to use 8k. Cmon, it's not like he's just going to crank the gain up until it clips.

XD, who am I kidding, ur probably right. But I still say he has the electrical to run 4k daily.

Matt

I would not attempt to run any of those amps listed with so little electrical, but I guess if you have a huge number printed on the heat sink that's what matters.
Solid advice imo. I'm coming up with 277 amps just for the 4k and that's on 14.4. Probably going to need close to 350 amp alt to be in spec, but I'm just getting back into the game so I could be way off.

While I do see your point, just because the amp can do 8k doesn't mean he is going to use 8k. Cmon, it's not like he's just going to crank the gain up until it clips.

XD, who am I kidding, ur probably right. But I still say he has the electrical to run 4k daily.

Matt
Please introduce impedance into the conversation. Is he fine running 4kw at four ohms but not fine running 4kw at one ohm?

Sundown unofficial is run by Derek who works at Sundown and does testing at Sundown on their equipment. He is one of there main people there.

"
Intro

A behind the scenes look at daily life here at Sundown Audio"

You won't get rated out of a SALT amp unless you are wired to .5. I'm talking clamped watts. If you want to clamp 4K from a SALT4 then you better be wired to .5 and have good electrical.

Please introduce impedance into the conversation. Is he fine running 4kw at four ohms but not fine running 4kw at one ohm?

Not that simple. Impedance changes depending on box type, the specific tone that's being played, box size, etc.

The only time Impedance really is a factor is in the lanes. Yes, amps are more efficient at 4 ohm vs 1 ohm. But when playing music you likely aren't seeing a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load.

Matt

SundownaudioUNOFFICIAL implies fanboy. It is unlike you to exaggerate numbers to make a point.
So are you implying that they cheated the dyno somehow? The point remains 2 AGM batteries and a """250A""" alternator is about right for a 2000-2500W amp. Why would anybody consider dropping 1500$ on an amp and then trying to skimp on the batteries? Just buy a SMART3 for 300$ if you only have the electrical to support 2500W.
OK then, spend 1500$ on a SALT4 to get 2000W at 4 ohms on some half arsed battery bank and an alternator that won't make 250A outside of a test bench. IMO you're putting the cart before the horse here and you can't say that OPs amp won't see 1 ohm any more than you can say it will until all his speakers are installed and it is tested.

You won't get rated out of a SALT amp unless you are wired to .5. I'm talking clamped watts. If you want to clamp 4K from a SALT4 then you better be wired to .5 and have good electrical.
Again with this stupid ****? Their video clearly shows the SALT4 puts out damn near 5k watts at 1 ohm under 14 volts when it’s rated for 4k at 1 ohm at 14.4 volts. How the f(u)ck is that not rated to you?

Again with this stupid ****? Their video clearly shows the SALT4 puts out damn near 5k watts at 1 ohm under 14 volts when it’s rated for 4k at 1 ohm at 14.4 volts. How the f(u)ck is that not rated to you?

I said "clamped watts". Big difference. I've watched many of them meter and they never clamp close to rated. You can believe the dyno videos all you want. I will say it again. If you want to get 4K (clamped) out of a SALT4 you better be wired to .5 and have good electrical.

I said "clamped watts". Big difference. I've watched many of them meter and they never clamp close to rated. You can believe the dyno videos all you want. I will say it again. If you want to get 4K (clamped) out of a SALT4 you better be wired to .5 and have good electrical.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Impedance rise is not the amps fault. Sundown says it puts out 4k at 1 ohm at 14.4 and dyno’s clearly show it does it more. What do you not understand?

You are comparing apples to oranges. Impedance rise is not the amps fault. Sundown says it puts out 4k at 1 ohm at 14.4 and dyno’s clearly show it does it more. What do you not understand?

It does on a dyno not in the real World. What don't you understand? You will never see 4K out of a SALT4 if you are wired to one ohm. If you want a real 4K then you better buy a bigger amp or wire the SALT4 to .5 on good electrical. Too many people believe that they are actually doing over what the amp is rated because of the dyno videos out there. Just my thoughts. Those dyno videos are usually at 14.8v also not 12.6v.

I understand actual audio. Dyno is real world numbers. You keep bringing impedance rise into the equation and it’s not right. Sundown says at 1 ohm it produces 4K, and at 1 ohm it produces even more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...