pros and cons of going ported

If the topic of this thread is not the advantages and disadvantages of ported enclosures, what exactly do you think the topic is? Its your post, you should know. lol
lol~

you see what I mean? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Although I doubt you are seriously considering this, ...
you're talkin to a guy who bought an oscilliscope JUST to set my gains....so I'm willing to try stuff, if I feel it's worth it...

but yea, I doubt I care about a flat response now....just something that sounds good is all I care about now.

please get back to the topic of the thread!
you see what I mean? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
...yup

I'm curious...

I think it was Jmac that said, if there is a peak in response due to the extra output of a ported setup near the tuning frequency coupled with the cabin gain of a car, then you can just eq it to cut the peak.

Well, the added bass/efficiency near the tuning frequency is the main advantage ported has over sealed isn't it?

If so, if you EQ'd that extra output (cut it), then what would be the point in using a ported box?

I mean, by cutting the boost in output of a ported setup near tuning, your basically eliminating the advantage that it had over the sealed aren't you?

Just curious. I'd could easily be wrong.

It boosts more than just near tuning ...
The port or the cabin gain? I know cabin gain boosts more than frequencies near tuning..

And you can design a ported enclosure to be relatively flat while still maintaining a healthy output advantage over sealed ...
I don't doubt it. It just sounds pretty complex. And since the only eq I own is the one that is built into my HU, it sounds like I'd have to invest in another eq aswell to get a flat response.

As far as pros and cons go, it seems that sealed and ported have just about the same amount, depending on what your goals are.

The port boosts a wide band of frequencies ... However, the port area and enclosure volume largely control the output at and near tuning ...
You would probably require a 1/3 octave EQ ...
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif ...

For the record, I never said it was easy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif But its simply not true when people make wide generalizations that sealed enclosure systems always sound better than ported.

Ported is a hell of a lot more cost effective than sealed for the same output ... Number one reason why I prefer ported ...
Why is it more cost effective ?

1) Less power needed ... In fact, you theoretically only need 1/4 to 1/2 the power to attain the same output as the same driver in a sealed enclosure ...

2) Less power means less expensive amp(s) and/or higher quality amp(s).

3) Less power needed means less upgrades to the electrical system.

4) Less power needed means one can use a driver with lower power handling capabilities.

5) Drivers with lower power handling typically cost less or are of higher quality for the same price.

6) Drivers with lower power handling often times have greater efficiency, further lowering the power requirement to match the output of a sealed enclosure.

Other benefits ...

7) Using the same driver in both systems (sealed vs. ported) at the same output levels, the ported driver receives significantly less power. Less power in addition to the natural properties of a ported enclosure above tuning means less excursion. Less excursion means less mechanical stress, higher BL, and, thus, lower distortion.

8) Less excursion reduces the chances of driver failure, further saving you money.

9) Ability to tune your system to your desires is much easier with a ported enclosure.

Of course, I seem to be the only one who uses ported enclosures for these reasons //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
I took that^ into consideration today when going to the car audio shop to plan my custom work to my reardeck. And I decided to go ported.

I opened my WINisd on my computer to see (approximately) how loud my subs would be with 1350wrms sealed. I used 1350 because I have a Hifonics 1500D, and just incase it's overrated. So I seen the SPL measured sealed with 1350 watts. Then I did the same ported, and it only took 650-700 watts to get the exact same output level. So, yes it would be a lot easier on my electrical system. And just incase I wanna get stupid loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wacky.gif.cf4a48f9e6dfe9504ffd2c946fd2f340.gif and compete with my friends' stereos, I'll have the extra SPL on tap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

True, a slightly flatter response isn't worth less spl and a new alternator. Ported/vented is way more cost effective.

Nice advice Jmac...

I took that^ into consideration today when going to the car audio shop to plan my custom work to my reardeck. And I decided to go ported.
I opened my WINisd on my computer to see (approximately) how loud my subs would be with 1350wrms sealed. I used 1350 because I have a Hifonics 1500D, and just incase it's overrated. So I seen the SPL measured sealed with 1350 watts. Then I did the same ported, and it only took 650-700 watts to get the exact same output level. So, yes it would be a lot easier on my electrical system. And just incase I wanna get stupid loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wacky.gif.cf4a48f9e6dfe9504ffd2c946fd2f340.gif and compete with my friends' stereos, I'll have the extra SPL on tap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

True, a slightly flatter response isn't worth less spl and a new alternator. Ported/vented is way more cost effective.

Nice advice Jmac...
was thats winisd beta or pro?

Go to User CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Thread Display Mode > Linear - Oldest First
The new format probably set it to Threaded (did for me this summer) ...
Thanks, I checked that, its still set to linear, oldest first. So did the format not change, just for me?

Oh and supa, dang kick a guy while he's down. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.