Proper Subwoofer Box Pricing

mgbcs
10+ year member

BASSAHOLIC
OK, so I've built quite a few enclosures over the years, but always for myself. I have a couple of people who now want me to build an enclosure for them, but I have no idea what to quote them for doing it. I have 3 requested boxes, all will be 3/4MDF, done with proper bracing, glued, screwed, caulked, with speaker terminal for easy access.

Here's what I have:

1) two 15" Kicker l7: slot ported tuned to 32 hz about 5 cubes per chamber after port and sub

2) two 12" Kicker CVX: sealed

3) two 15" subs ported

I know there aren't enough details in these, but anyone have an opinion/ballpark on what I should charge for each. The boxes will be unfinished, but ready for carpet.

Thanks,

Ben

here is how i do it.

a simple box, 6 sides built to specs and tuned i take materials and charge 30% over cost.

labor i charge $100 per hr. for a box like this with the right tools and set up its about 2 hrs of time for cutting testing and assembly. another .5 hrs for covering the box. normal box takes a sheet of mdf and glue and yada yada yada...about 60 in materials. so

materials 60 x1.30 $78

labor 100x 2.5 $250

total $328

this is for a measured box for there car built to spec. only 6 sides.

if i have to miter or make additional cuts i charge $20 per cut.

also. the first time to do a car built a template. or save your measurements in a database so nexttime its ready to go and you profit more. if it forfriends then id cut the labor in half. but as a biz i have bills to pay and margin is the only way my kid gets a birthday present and my car payment gets paid. dont feel guilty about price and present the price with confidence and let the customers know how its broken down. they will by your confidence moret hen a box.

I have a standard rate and set options. If I buy the wood that's 100.00 right there. If they buy it, they also haul it and unload it at my location.

If the box requires 1 sheet of mdf, that's 100 dollars right there.

2 sheets 200 dollars and so on.

That right there is extensive bracing and 45's in the corners for a box with no frills.

If you want it to be resined, that's $50.00. If you want anything rounded that's $20.00. If you want a kerf that's 100.00. If you want it carpetted that's $100.00. If you want it bed lined that's $50.00. If you want it painted that's $200.00.

I like to give options. You can sell people with a cheap price and then they talk themselves up. Always get the money up front and make sure they understand that there are no refunds. Once they leave with the box it is theirs. No warranty is expressed or implied.

I personally have built dozens of enclosures for locals and all but 1 are pleased. It was one of the first ones I did and it was a good box, but the kid has a handicap and he really abused it. (when I say that I don't mean to talk down on the handicapped. He has cerebral paulsy and it is a HORRIBLE thing. I feel bad for him. He has a hand that is locked up. Well when you have only 1 good hand, you should not carry your fully braced box LOADED with 2 12w7's by yourself.) I didn't cover my a$$ so I repaired it several times only to have him drop it with the subs in it and have the face of the box damaged. He tried to blame me for a shifted pole on his sub and the damaged box. Of course I wasn't responsible but it didn't stop him from running my name through the mud.

Build logs will save your ***. They are not only proof that you know what you are doing and are a skilled builder, but they are proof that you did it right and that the box didn't leave your hands with any defects.

ecrack is right pics and a log are awesome and something that helps build value to your customers. put the pics on a cd for them and they can share the exp with you later on. some people wont care really but some will love it. and it shows you take pride in what you do as well as cya.

125 to 150 is a loosing sale. no money in it. i sell prefabs for 150 to 180. i never let a customer drop off the wood, ifthey ***** about the price or price becomes an issue i work with them on it. i have wood delivered weekly.

but honestly if your building it you need to make sure your time is money. being a nice guy wont pay the bills homie.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.