Proper speaker wire size

TonWardHD

CarAudio.com Recruit
Probably won’t push more than 7000 Watts per sub. 2 dvc d1’s wired in series/parallel for 1 ohm. If each driver voltage is 114v then my 8 gauge wire is rated for 6840 watts. Where on earth can I find 6 gauge ofc that’s rated more than 60 amps at 20ft? 

So many people oversize wire for no reason... I dont know why.  You see it all the time with just the basic systems like a 500 Watt Mono Block Amp and they are trying to squeeze in 1 Gauge... It drives me crazy.  Wire itself is a resistor, they need to remember that.

What subwoofer are you using that 8 gauge isn't enough to power it?  I haven't found one yet. Unless you are running 20 foot long speaker wire runs to the subs.
Teams. 5k rms. Will run 7k tho. 7mm terminals. 4 gauge is obviously too big and 8 gauge is just lacking. Mathematically the 8 gauge can just barely deliver it seems. I’m basically asking for where to find 6 gauge that’s not welding cable or something. I don’t know why I can’t seem to find it online. 

I used 8 gauge on both sets of my 5000 rms subs on 10k and 20k amps. No problem at all. You aren't going to find 6 gauge speaker wire. Welding cable is going to be your only option if you insist on running 6 gauge speaker wire.

So many people oversize wire for no reason... I dont know why.  You see it all the time with just the basic systems like a 500 Watt Mono Block Amp and they are trying to squeeze in 1 Gauge... It drives me crazy.  Wire itself is a resistor, they need to remember that.
Agree, but I also think its a sales pitch so the store makes more money.  They know that newbies don't know jack about wattage and required size that would run their system smoothly.  Adding huge wires does not do any justice as the amp is only going to drain the required current draw.  Don't forget the distribution blocks, lugs, conduit cables to protect cables in engine bay all add up to the costs.

Back in the old days when car audio was young, most subwoofers had just plain speaker terminal inserts, An example is a Cerwin Vega XL-12, and not forgetting the iconic Cerwin Vega Stroker 12/15, all had spade terminals so you had to apply solder to connect speaker wired securely.  

Most powerful subwoofers sold today, including some mid range priced ones have those five way binding posts with spring loading.  The maximum size wires that could be fit in would be 8 gauge and that is sufficient for them as the subwoofers are tested before leaving the factory.  Sometimes it seems everything is over-rated these days!  :suave:

Truth! Seen someone posted the other day asking how he can squeeze 8 gauge wire to his subs' terminals and only running a 500 watt amp lol

Agree, but I also think its a sales pitch so the store makes more money.  They know that newbies don't know jack about wattage and required size that would run their system smoothly.  Adding huge wires does not do any justice as the amp is only going to drain the required current draw.  Don't forget the distribution blocks, lugs, conduit cables to protect cables in engine bay all add up to the costs.

Back in the old days when car audio was young, most subwoofers had just plain speaker terminal inserts, An example is a Cerwin Vega XL-12, and not forgetting the iconic Cerwin Vega Stroker 12/15, all had spade terminals so you had to apply solder to connect speaker wired securely.  

Most powerful subwoofers sold today, including some mid range priced ones have those five way binding posts with spring loading.  The maximum size wires that could be fit in would be 8 gauge and that is sufficient for them as the subwoofers are tested before leaving the factory.  Sometimes it seems everything is over-rated these days!  :suave:
I don't think its so much the sales pitch approach rather overthinking the whole idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.