Problem...

Participant count
  • Participant list

ejschultz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Okay, here's my delima. My truck (95 GMC Jimmy 4x4) has a knock at about 3000 rpm. Its probably still got some life left in it, but I don't know exactly how much. My 4 wheel drive doesn't work and neither does my A/C. Should I put the money into it to get the 4 wheel drive and/or A/C fixed? It's like 90 degrees here right now and I really can't enjoy driving it in this heat. I don't really take it off road very often but I'd like to have the 4 wheel drive back for the snow this winter. Should I put more money into it or just drive it until it takes a dump on me? What would you do? Mind you I've probably got about $3000 in this including the cost of the truck.

I reposted this here because no one on my Blazer forum wants to give me any feedback on the issue.

well depends on what the other options are...

is this the only vehicle? if so, you should fix it, or get another so if/when it takes a **** you're not stuck

hard to say

a/c can be cheap to way too much $$$.

the knock is a iffy thing lots of thinds can make a knock depends.

the 4x4 could just be a linkage to front hubs.

could be easy to way above the cost of the truck

The knock is definitely a rod. The truck has 140000 miles on it. It's not my only vehicle, but it is my daily driver. I really don't want to drive my Caprice as a daily driver because it's a pretty hot car in the area. I'm currently trying to get a new job and if that goes through, I'd be interested in getting a newer vehicle only, but only if I really need to.

hmmmmm. that knock could get expensive. it has that 4.3 V6, right? if u let the knock go then you could really damage the crankshaft and need a new one where as now if u fix it u could just have the crank turned and get new rod and main bearings for it. if that rod gives, it will most likely go thru the side of the block then ur f!cked. and y r u running at 3k RPM? how does the oil pressure look when driving? have u checked the oil lately? not haveing any oil in them or no oil pressure will also make them knock

Basically, I only hear the knock during acceleration when it hits about 3000 rpm. I usually keep it under that due to the knock. The oil is fine, I've recently done a change and the pressure is about a quarter of the way up the gauge at idle and at about halfway at acceleration. When I noticed the knock I took it to a mechanic to take a look at it for me. He checked everything out and came to the same conclusion I did. He told me he's seen these run for a couple of years with a knock like mine. I'm not overly worried about it at the moment, but it is a situation I would like to address sometime in the near future. If I end up shooting the rod out of the block then the truck is done. Rods are cheap, however, the labor on them is ridiculous. It's something I may be able to do on my own, as I have done some major work on engines before. I don't know if it would be worth the hassle for me to do the work. It seems like every time I turn around, something else is wrong with the truck. I would ideally like to get something newer soon. The only problem with that is at the moment, I'm in no financial position to be getting anything. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Life can truly be a b*tch.

And yes, it is a 4.3 L V6. 262 cu. in. to be exact.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.