Problem with pg titanium amp elite 6.5 components

Participant count
  • Participant list

Curel
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Glenview
I got around to hooking up the pg 6.5 elite components yesterday & my pg titanium amp goes into overload protection mode @ low moderate volumes. i doubt is a clipping issue as i only use 20/35 of the radio volume & the amp overloads @ any gain on amp. i rulled out a short in a speaker wire as i disconnected all the speakers from the cross over & the amp still overloads. bass boost is off & radio eq is flat. could the crossover be shorted? component plays fine at low volumes. i was also creating allot of sawdust around the crossover. does sawdust cause any damage to a crossover? amp plays fine with just the 6.5" speakers hooked up without the crossover. what do guys think it might be? i'll do some more testing & see what i can come up with.

What PG Ti amp do you have? I would take the cover off of the Xover and get a air compressed can, used for cleaning off computer heyboards, and blow it clean and look for anything out of the ordinary. Burnt spots, parts came undone, broken parts, etc....

As a furhter test I would, while using the amps built in Xover, hook up each speaker seperatly and slowly increase the volume. Does the problem still continue? If not, then disinguage the amps Xover and use the Elites Xover w/the mids only hooked up, turn up the volume slowly, then do the same for the tweets only. Let us know what you get.

Last night I disconnected the component crossover, hooked up the speakers to the amp and used the amp crossover. amp works fine now. very loud & doesn't overload. the problem is in the crossover. oh well. I guess i'll have to active.

smgreen: i tried unhooking tweeter by tweeter by speaker until they were all disconnected from the crossover. amp still over loaded. there are led lights on the crossover that should come on when music is playing but they don't light up.

I made a post of this for you at another site. When PG shut their forum down, this is where we all went. Somene that has a set will post soon I'm sure.

Stipud posted....

"1) The LEDs have to be powered seperatly.They don't light up on/by amplified power. They need their own +-.

This is incorrect. The lights actually strobe to the music using excess voltage for the tweeters, directly off the speaker cable inputs. To get them to flash, you have to be playing music with an ample supply of power. I barely notice mine flashing with 250wrms, but that is just off of music (a test tone would obviously be more strenuous). Also note - running the crossover with no speakers attached will probably break it, due to vibrations in the inductors and whatnot.

Have him open it up and clean it out with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip, and to look out for any wires crossing paths. This includes cleaning under the board, which is quite easy to access as well."

Stipud posted...."1) The LEDs have to be powered seperatly.They don't light up on/by amplified power. They need their own +-.

This is incorrect. The lights actually strobe to the music using excess voltage for the tweeters, directly off the speaker cable inputs. To get them to flash, you have to be playing music with an ample supply of power. I barely notice mine flashing with 250wrms, but that is just off of music (a test tone would obviously be more strenuous). Also note - running the crossover with no speakers attached will probably break it, due to vibrations in the inductors and whatnot.

Have him open it up and clean it out with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip, and to look out for any wires crossing paths. This includes cleaning under the board, which is quite easy to access as well."

Hey smgreen.

What ever happend to stipud. Why wasnt he the moderator any more. Sorry to kill the thread.

ps check your pm box.

thanks smgreen. i'll clean the crossover out & do some more testing. but for now, i'm using the amp's crossover & running each speaker to each channel. get's very loud clear. i'm going to toy with the eq & crossover points & see what i can get out of this set up. if i decide to get or need the crossover, i'll give your boy a holla.

3 way mode????? Whachya mean? The amp can do high pass to ch 1&2 and low pass to Ch 3&4. If you're refering to that set up and you want to know what freq the low end gets crossed over at, it'd be what ever you have the "out board" Xover set at fo high poass. Other than that I'm not sure what you're asking.

it's a settinng on the amp. the owner's manual says a bandpass signal is created between the front & rear signals. not sure what this means.

hey guys. what frequncy does the amp's crossover cut out when in 3 way mode?
you kinda answered your own question above. example below

front channels high pass set at 5hz for tweeters and rear low pass set 100hz the bypass RCA outputs in 3way mode would be set to run between 100-5000hz

I see. How can I have the mid section play through rear channels? I have the 500.4 titanium amp. I've also tried running rear channels in bypass, but this disables the internal amps crossover & makes my speakers distort.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.