problem with my amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

gonzalgi21
10+ year member

i have a jl audio 1000/1 and a jl audio 450/4 in my honda civic and i wired everything up correctly and it sounds good but everytime i turn it up to high levels my 450/4 shuts off then goes back on after i turn it down. my grounds are fine but i just dont know what it could be. when i crank it, it just cuts off on me and i have checked everything that has come to mind but cant find the problem... by the way my car has the big 3.

Sounds like its not getting enough power to the amp/s. Even tho just the one turns off, that has happened to me before. The battery got wore down and just my 4 channel would go into protect and turn off, turn it down and goes right back on. Might want to check your battery. Does it do it with the car running?

Sounds like its not getting enough power to the amp/s. Even tho just the one turns off, that has happened to me before. The battery got wore down and just my 4 channel would go into protect and turn off, turn it down and goes right back on. Might want to check your battery. Does it do it with the car running?
yea it does it with the car running but its even worse with the car off.

and do you think the radio has anything to do with it? because i have heard that some of the more inexpensive headunits dont push out the voltage threw the remote wire that is needed for some of the bigger amps like mine.

Those aren't exactly big amps.

It's likely the battery. Check it out first. If that's a problem source, replace the battery with a good one, and then see if you still have problems. It sounds like you have too much of a voltage drop to sustain the amplifier.

Also, what year is the civic? The newer models, 2000 and up or so, have a regulator on the alternator, and it doesn't detect the amp load on the alt. Which prevents the alternator from charging constantly.

My civic is a 2000 and I think your talking about 2001 and up when the body changed. And my battery isn't even a year old its a duralast red top the car starts and runs fine I have no problem with the battery besides this amp issue. One thing I do know is that my battery is tiny its very small and doesn't have much power even tho its only a few months old but it still works fine but I'm guessing it doesn't have the power or something. Should I still change it?

My civic is a 2000 and I think your talking about 2001 and up when the body changed. And my battery isn't even a year old its a duralast red top the car starts and runs fine I have no problem with the battery besides this amp issue. One thing I do know is that my battery is tiny its very small and doesn't have much power even tho its only a few months old but it still works fine but I'm guessing it doesn't have the power or something. Should I still change it?
Check it with a DMM while you are playing. Easy way to check the voltage the amplifier is getting - turn it up, and put the DMM on the power and ground wires, in a DC power reading, at a 20v rating on the multimeter. See what it reads, particularly when it cuts off.

If it's getting below twelve volts when it cuts off, it's definitely the battery not holding enough charge. If you have a stable voltage, preferably of at least 12 volts while the car is off, or mid 13's should be the lowest if the car is on. Also, what is the alternator rated at? 70 amps?

You may be right with the new body style - I wasn't sure, wanted to check that first. That issue is a pita. Needs an ECU reflash to really fix it.

But, check the voltage issues before replacing anything. No sense spending money when it may not be that. If you have a good voltage level, then come back, for some more brainstorming.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.