Help with Hifonics 1608D, broken or just not that good?

Ksan
10+ year member

Dodge HEMI
Well, I am having trouble figuring this out so I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. Here is the problem.

My friend wanted to hear my ID Sub in his truck so I took one out and hooked it up to his Rockford punch 300.2 bridged, with the Sub wired to 2Ohm's and this Sub pounded, it was really boomy and sounded great. We went back to my truck and listened to the other sub on My Hifonics 1608D and it sounds VERY weak. Same Sub wired to 2Ohms and it just hits weak, it is not boomy, sounds like it is not pushing the Sub very well. So will the Amp not sound right with only one Sub and needs to be wired to 1Ohm to sound right? Or is something not right with it?

Thanks for the help.

You hooked an amp that pushes 1000+ RMS on a sub that takes about 350 and it didn't push it at all, but it works fine with both, yes?

Wiring problem.

Hmmm, I am not sure How much better I can word it, but I am happy for some help, so thanks for posting but, as I just said THAT is the problem, I hooked up an amp to the sub that does 1000 and it was pushing it and playing fine, NOT wired wrong, it just does not push it at all like what the 300 watt Rockford class A/B is pushing it. The Rockford was BOOMING hard, the Hifonics was a lite boom and the amp is playing the Sub. It is just not booming like the other amp.

100% sure not a wiring problem, but I can't figure out what is going on, I was asking if this the norm for a 1Ohm amp wired to 2Ohm or do you think the Amp needs repairs?

Not a problem throw in another $130 and it is yours. Also since you local I will throw in a 12" RE Audio SR for $100.00

Thank you VERY much finally a good helpful answer. I was thinking it might a more power problem from the way it sounds but on paper that just does not look right. I have a yellowtop battery and big 3 while my friend is all stock.

I just don't know what to think that Rockford is rated at 300 Watts Max while that Hifonics (I know it is doing under the rated power) is rated at 1100 Watts at 2Ohm so it should be pushing atleast 900-1000.

Yeah sorry I couldn't be of more help, that's just a REALLY weird problem. Never heard of anything like that.

But then, if it's pounding like hell when the whole thing's hooked up why worry? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

A P3002 at 2ohms bridged is going to start clipping out, by the way.

That Fosgate is still nowhere near as strong as that Hifonics, even with the Hifonics at 2ohms and the Fosgate bridged at 2, I'm sorry.

Are you using a common chamber box? Did you seal the box back of correctly when you were listening to one subwoofer?

The way the vehicle is setup makes a huge difference. Type of vehicle, signal going to the amplifier in there, etc. There's a lot of things.

The Hifonics doesnt have to be ran at 1ohm to work "correctly"

You either did not wire it correctly or your box wasnt sealed off/made for one woofer and was causing issues, that would be my guess at least. That and your perception.

Generally speaking if the amp works, the amp works *shrugs* you generally dont get a "lessened" signal from an amplifier when it fries, it's just gone.

P3002 at 2 ohms bridged should = getting hot fast.... not good and likely doing way more output than is rated for but will pay the price if it's gets too hot, it will shutdown or the transistors will go into thermal runaway and the amp will smoke.

The Hifonics will produce more power at 1 ohm. If you are talking two different sub boxes here that's your problem, it's the box. If it's the same box, then it must be the difference in the resonance of the interiors of the two vehicles.

Thanks for the good info and help. They are the same box, shape and size. I have heard that the Hifonics amp will not play very low and that this might be the problem. The local Stereo shop said the Hifonics would not go as low as the rockford amp and this was making the boom I was hearing from the rockford. Any truth to this? I don't know, maybe I should buy a better amp for the ID's.

Thanks for the good info and help. They are the same box, shape and size. I have heard that the Hifonics amp will not play very low and that this might be the problem. The local Stereo shop said the Hifonics would not go as low as the rockford amp and this was making the boom I was hearing from the rockford. Any truth to this? I don't know, maybe I should buy a better amp for the ID's.
uh, no. You have all the gains and adjustment set right on the hifonics? That am should work fine at 2 ohms...its in the wiring or the adjustments man...

Well if I may I want to go over the way it is wired so maybe I can get this right.

4Ga Knu to battery fused, remote turn on to headunit, ground is one foot long bolted under seat with three self tapping screws and paint removed under ground. Speaker wire is + to + and Neg to neg from Amp to box and the Sub woofer is a dual 4Ohm wired parallel with + to + and neg to neg of voice coils and the one set of coils going to wiring on box.

Gain on amp is turned to around 70%, Sub sonic is set to 20HZ, crossover is set to 120. Bass boost is off. I don't know what the deal is here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.