Problem with JL Audio Slash 300/4 v2

Participant count
  • Participant list

mistert
10+ year member

I bought the amp used and after installing it, the sound was fine for months. As of a few months ago, I noticed that the sound from the right speaker was scratchy sounding. The speakers are practically new, purchased new, Alpine Type R 6 1/components. I did some research online and found 3 instances of where people had owned a 300/4 and one with a 500/1 amp with the same issue. My first suspicion is the amp. To send it in and get it repaired, I have read where it took one guy 2 mos and $190 to repair/turn around time. Has anyone had this happen or any suggestions to fix it? I took the cover off and looked inside, but nothing obvious was found. I am stuck with the decision of getting a replacement amp, perhaps used for around the price it would cost to repair it or just bite the bullet and send it in for repair. It is a nice amp after all. If I went with a replacement, I wouldn't be able to get something as nice, but could get a decent amp like an Alpine amp used that would be comparable in power and have good sound.

Anyway, any ideas? I am going to try some things this weekend when I have time to try and narrow it down to whether it is the amp or possibly the crossover (bypassing it and seeing if the issue persists). I will also switch RCA inputs to see if it goes to the other side when doing so.

Since you say the scratchy noise is coming from the right speaker, you can try switching the L and R speaker wire on your amp to see if it's the same side or different side. That should give you a good place to start from. Double check all your wiring and grounds to see if anything is loose also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.