Dumb Question Using 4 channel amp to push 2 speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

mistert
10+ year member

I have a JL Audio 300/4 amp and wanted to know if I can bridge the amp to run the front speakers (Alpine Type R 6.5 components) and use the built in head unit's power to push the rear speakers. I have a separate mono amp for the subwoofer.

Any loss of SQ when doing this? I wanted to get more output and maintain good sound quality. I tried googling it, but everything is about adding multiple subs when bridging an amp

well the front speakers will be louder .. so you will have to lower the gain ( output ) so you get a balanced sound.

but most will say get rid of the rear speakers . i was running rear speakers now im not.

as you may not hear the rears...

Any loss of SQ when doing this? I wanted to get more output and maintain good sound quality. I tried googling it, but everything is about adding multiple subs when bridging an amp
if done right, you'll get better sound quality and some loudness for your fronts.

Sure -- pretty common cost effective way to get a lot of power to a pair of speakers.

SQ would theoretically be reduced slightly as the amp running closer to its minimum impedance would increase THD and reduce damping. But I think the in-car performance will easily trump theory on this one. The thd/damping problem would be slight, and the increase in dynamics and clarity from more power will be significant.

I run my comps with a bridged 4 ch as well. Class D amp, and fairly cheap. It has been running w/o any trouble and sounding great for 4 yrs or so.

Tuning this amp is trickier with the 300/4. There are a few different settings with the various filters. I need to play around with it and find the best setting for the Type R 6 1/2s so I can get optimum sound from them. The other thing I noticed too is that the right speaker sounds slightly "static" and these are new so I am wondering if there is an issue with the amp. This weekend I will troubleshoot more with that by switching L with R to see if the static is in it when switched and then bypass the Audio Control 2XS in case it has to do with that.

Through web searches, I found that JL Audio is problematic when it comes to hearing static noises in one speaker versus the other. I am going to open the amp up and take a look at it and hope it's an easy fix.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.