Problem with blowing fuses..

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeffrofosho
10+ year member

Today I installed a new sub, the "HT Pro Blackout" 12inch d2, its made from parts by TC Sounds and Soundstream, RMS 1500w. I'm running a YZEN 1500x1 amp @ 1ohm for my sub, a PPI PC450 for my mids and an Audiocontrol to tune everything. HU is an Alpine cda-9887 by the way. I'm also running 4ga wiring and have a distribution block with 100amp glass fuse for my sub amp and a wafer fuse holder for my 4channel.

My problem is, I barely turn the gain up on my sub amp and instantly my 100amp glass fuse blows. The sub is wired parallel so its in a 1ohm load, the amp IS stable at 1ohm.

I do not have a capacitor nor do I have an upgraded alternator or extra batteries.

Any suggestions???

Yeah, my next step is to change to the wafer fuse holder on the sub amp.. but I was wondering if maybe I needed another battery or something. 0gauage is already ordered to be installed. The weird thing is I had a 12 inch RF HX2 RFR series running @ 4ohms and the same wattage and I never had this problem.

Yeah, my next step is to change to the wafer fuse holder on the sub amp.. but I was wondering if maybe I needed another battery or something. 0gauage is already ordered to be installed. The weird thing is I had a 12 inch RF HX2 RFR series running @ 4ohms and the same wattage and I never had this problem.
so you're saying that your amp puts out the same wattage at 4 ohms as it does at 1 ohm?

A 100 amp fuse is not large enough for that amp. My 1200 watt amp has 120 amps of onboard fusing, obviously your 1500W amp should have more.

The solution to this problem is to get bigger wire. If you put a bigger fuse in place of your 100 amp fuse, you'll no longer be protecting the wire from catching on fire from drawing too much current, as most 4 gauge is not rated to handle current above 100A.

There should be a fuse under the hood, less than three feet from the battery. The fuse should be rated to the maximum ampacity of the wire you are using.

The 1500w amp I am using has 150amps of onboard fusing. But thank you, I will upgrade the wiring to 0ga. Thank you for this information, as for another battery would you suggest getting one?

What kind of car do you have? I'll look it up for you real quick.

Big three upgrade is upgrading the factory charging wires. Using 4 or 1/0 gauge wire, you add/replace these factory wires, since they are usually inadequate for large current draw:

-Battery positive to alternator positive

-Battery negative to chassis ground

-Battery negative to engine ground

[video=youtube;p82xRzCr-lc]

Looks like it's a 140 amp alternator. You'd be very well off by doing the big three and picking up a 50-80ah battery. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Keep going up on the fuses 10 amps at a time till you quit blowing them...then problem solved...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Horrible advice. He's already at a 100 amp fuse with 4 gauge wire, all that's going to do is cause the wire to pull more current than it is capable of and catch on fire...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.