Problem with AB VFL4480 hybrid. Smoking, but running.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys. Been a while. I've been running my C2 Tc2 15" (@ 4ohm) for a couple years now with a VFL 4480 hybrid. Same settings.

Today, on the way home from work, I smelled some smells, and looked to see my amp doing dabs or something, because it was smoking, but still banging Young Metro on bass. So I backed it off, I was about 2 blocks from home. Then shut her down.

Weirdness:

Smoke doesn't smell of typical ampslosion. Processor?

Wasn't hot. Nearby ground contact wasn't hot either.

Still deliver juice

Any help from the amp gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vfl 4480 has twice the caps then other amps, the glue near the caps maybe burning from the heat and may end up blowing/bleeding the caps soon.

Check your alt and battery power to make sure its still delivering the same amount of power.

The amp may just infact be on its way out so might as well play it till your subs have heart beats.

Sent from my Moto G4 using Tapatalk

Twice the amount of caps vs other amps? that tiny thing aint got sh*t compared other amps.

50_74_vfl_4480_1d_gear.jpg'%20alt='50_74_vfl_4480_1d_gear.jpg'>

I was thinking same thing
yeah my experience with this amp hybrid is the same as yours with the taramps so i kinda feel where you coming from with what you went through lol. two bad ones in a row that didnt get loud while every other cheaper smaller amp i put it got way louder with nothing else but an amp swap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.