Ghost/Gremlin in my electrical, low volume and distortion regardless of the deck

Participant count
  • Participant list

usmccjc18

Greetings,

I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction. I've put very complicated and expensive entire wiring harnesses and systems in cars and boats and I'm getting my a$$ kicked while working in a base 2003 Subaru legacy. I put an older alpine cda-9885 deck in it about a week ago to replace the factory one (this is my little rally car I play around with, but we drive it to the track on a dealer plate so its still nice to have tunes, so everything in this was on the cheap). Worked great for the week then this morning extremely low volume with distortion, so I figured the for free deck went bad so I went and bought a basic new kenwood deck, installed it, and had no power. Come to find out the constant 12v wire on the factory harness was not outputting anything (key on had 12v+ with key on). Jumped the wire to the cigarette lighter and the deck lit right up but still has the same low volume with distortion problem. I tried moving the ground to 4 different places, and then tried direct power for both positive leads and the negative directly to the battery. With all combinations, the deck turns on, lights up, and works, but with low volume and a lot of distortion. Tried re-using factory deck, and that is the same. Disconnected and reconnected every wire multiple times, checked every interior fuse for the car. I am at a total loss. Any insight or ideas would be much appreciated.

Sounds like the factory wiring is shot. Have you used the plug and play type harnesses where you buy a separate harness that simply plugs into the factory harness then wire up the necessary wires to appropriate colors?

Sounds like the factory wiring is shot. Have you used the plug and play type harnesses where you buy a separate harness that simply plugs into the factory harness then wire up the necessary wires to appropriate colors?
He did direct to battery connections so bypassed the wiring harness. Its super weird he has low volume and distortion across Hu's tho.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

He did direct to battery connections so bypassed the wiring harness. Its super weird he has low volume and distortion across Hu's tho.
Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Hmm...the only thing I can come up with is a short somewhere or frayed/exposed wire touching something metal causing the issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.