Problem driving me crazy

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ruger1

We recently purchased a used Dodge Ram, which the previous owner had apparently hooked up an amp, along with strobes, and LED's. When we got the truck home we discovered that the wiring was here there and everywhere. The amp was no longer hooked to anything, just laying on the floor. The problem we are having is with the front speakers, we believe the wiring. The rear speakers work just fine, the front do not. The previous owner switched out the stock speakers for others, and all wires are connected. When the key is turned on the front speakers make a static noise while the stereo is off. When the stereo is turned on, there is nothing at all from them. We took the stereo out and discovered that the wires to the front speakers had been cut next to the plug, twisted back together and taped. Now the part that has us pulling our hair out.... If we have the key on, disconnect the plug from the stereo, plug it back in, the front speakers work. Turn the key off then back on, they dont work anymore. Could the cut in the wires be the cause of this? Is there any way to fix this without having to take the route of buying a whole new wire harness?? Please help before we go insane!! Thanks in advance!

somethings wrong with the sensor i think..check the remote wire and the power wire of the hu where is it located..
Wow man you're 2 for 2 in the bad advice department. The amp is no longer installed in the truck, as the OP said. No remote wire to work with.

To the OP: It kinda sounds like a bad deck. It seems like when you're pulling the plug and re-inserting it you're causing more of a "hard reset" and that's making things work. The fact that it's transmitting static with the radio off also kinda leads me to that idea. If you've already looked over all the wiring and it's good, then it's time to replace the head unit.

Wow man you're 2 for 2 in the bad advice department. The amp is no longer installed in the truck, as the OP said. No remote wire to work with.
To the OP: It kinda sounds like a bad deck. It seems like when you're pulling the plug and re-inserting it you're causing more of a "hard reset" and that's making things work. The fact that it's transmitting static with the radio off also kinda leads me to that idea. If you've already looked over all the wiring and it's good, then it's time to replace the head unit.
lol the hu is fine and working..why buy one?d*mn:laugh:

@ruger1.. check all the wiring:,remote,mute,front wires ouput,ground,power,ignition signal..clean the contacts..if you have spare speaker,try connecting it to the front wires output..might be a bad ic..DONT REPLACE HEAD UNIT BECAUSE ITS WORKING:laugh:

@ruger1.. check all the wiring:,remote,mute,front wires ouput,ground,power,ignition signal..clean the contacts..if you have spare speaker,try connecting it to the front wires output..might be a bad ic..DONT REPLACE HEAD UNIT BECAUSE ITS WORKING:laugh:
So you don't think the fact that removing and reinserting the plug with power applied to the radio causes things to work is relevant? How is that not the radio? It doesn't work, he messes with the radio (hard reset by removing/reinstalling the plug), it works. It clearly sounds like a problem with the radio. If it continued to work after he shut the car off it would point toward a problem with the plug, but it doesn't. As I said, if he checked the wiring and it's all good then it is obviously the radio.

sorry ill have to go against you on that too obviously the speaker and wires are all good since they work when like the other guy said a reset occurs.....

We recently purchased a used Dodge Ram, which the previous owner had apparently hooked up an amp, along with strobes, and LED's. When we got the truck home we discovered that the wiring was here there and everywhere. The amp was no longer hooked to anything, just laying on the floor. The problem we are having is with the front speakers, we believe the wiring. The rear speakers work just fine, the front do not. The previous owner switched out the stock speakers for others, and all wires are connected.1, When the key is turned on the front speakers make a static noise while the stereo is off.2. When the stereo is turned on, there is nothing at all from them.We took the stereo out and discovered that the wires to the front speakers had been cut next to the plug, twisted back together and taped. Now the part that has us pulling our hair out.... 3.If we have the key on, disconnect the plug from the stereo, plug it back in, the front speakers work. 4.Turn the key off then back on, they dont work anymore. Could the cut in the wires be the cause of this? 5.Is there any way to fix this without having to take the route of buying a whole new wire harness?? Please help before we go insane!! Thanks in advance!
1.because it has short circuit,might be a bad connection,bad ic that producing the static

2.could be the previous owner have done to the wires..

3.its working because you're resetting the input power but still with dirty juice or bad contact

4.could be..check the wiring again,just make the wires clean and neat first and lets take the next step if it didn't work

5.yes and buying a new hu is not the answer..

@quicksilverrs91

your questions are already answered,step by step before buying anything."As I said, if he checked the wiring and it's all good then it is obviously the radio." youre correct and i said check the wiring..,i said that to check it AGAIN and next it could be the radio but im not like you suggesting a new one..i hope you understand my point..and about the department you said,im not a member of bad advice department

@twoeggcustoms

i said that,to check it again..could be the wires,harnes,ic etc

im not competing with you guys and dont want to offend someone..im just here with my opinions and just trying to help..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

He said the wires were cut and reconnected. Probably not in the best way, but they were. A wiring issue (dirty contact, loose pin in the plug, poor connection) would have been clearly evident when he removed the radio. There would have been cutting in and out. The fact that in one scenario the speakers work 100% and in the other they work 0% leads us to believe it's not wiring. The only thing that changed in the whole thing is the power being removed and reapplied to the head unit. The static doesn't mean it's shorted out in wiring, just that it's receiving a bad signal. The deck could have an internal short causing this, as well as about 15 other things. If it was shorted wiring the deck would likely be popping fuses or overheating once it was turned on (because it has a direct output to a ground), and there wouldn't be any sound playing when the plug was removed and replaced. The only wiring issue that could be happening here is a loose/poor connection on the accessory wire. Even then, the problem reappears when only turning the key on and off (and not when moving the wire).

What the hell is dirty juice? Assuming you're referring to some type of bad signal, your wiring assumption would still be incorrect. If the speaker wires are shorted out, the signal wouldn't matter at all. Sending X signal to a shorted speaker will not cause it to play when sending Y signal to the shorted speaker didn't work.

Anyway, yes, check your wiring again. Don't get too in depth, but make sure you have good connections at the plug. I would be extremely surprised to find out it wasn't the deck.

What the hell is dirty juice? Assuming you're referring to some type of bad signal, your wiring assumption would still be incorrect. If the speaker wires are shorted out, the signal wouldn't matter at all. Sending X signal to a shorted speaker will not cause it to play when sending Y signal to the shorted speaker didn't work.

Anyway, yes, check your wiring again. Don't get too in depth, but make sure you have good connections at the plug. I would be extremely surprised to find out it wasn't the deck.
juice = power

you can i find the "IC" i was talking INSIDE the deck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.